TTC After a Loss
Options

Ladies with luteal phase defects, come in please...

I'm starting to think I may have a luteal phase defect. I did some research on it and found out it means shortened luteal phases. My last two LPs were under 10 days and I read on some websites that any LP that was 10 days or under could indicate a defect. It also says women with LP defects will have miscarriages. I am seeing my OB/GYN a week from tomorrow which unfortunately is the day I may get a positive OPK so I'm thinking I might TTA for this month because if I truly have a LP defect, I don't want to recklessly put myself through another m/c until I get proper treatment.

I'm just curious for those ladies who have a LP defect, what were your treatments? Meds? Progesterone cream?

DS born 2009
BFP#2 ~ 8/2/11, EDD 4/11/12, D&C 9/12/11 at 9w5d
BFP#3 ~ 4/15/12, EDD 12/21/12 ~ DD born 12/22/12
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Ladies with luteal phase defects, come in please...

• Options
    First I have to admit I wasn't diagnosed w/ a LPD per se, but I've had some LP's at 10 days, which I thought might be too short.  I've found acupuncture to be a big help w/ my LP - last cycle it was 15!!!  I couldn't believe it.  Also I've done Clomid + HCG trigger cycles and my LP was long for those as well.  The trigger shot sort of tricks your body into producing more progesterone.  GL!

PGAL/PAL welcome
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Trying to start our family since 2010
    BFP #1 11.4.10, EDD 7.12.11, HB 12/9/10, MMC 12/27/10; 11w6d
    BFP #2 9.12.12, EDD 5.24.13, Baby Boy Born 5.15.13!!
    My Ovulation Chart
    3 Clomid (100mg) cycles + TI + Trigger = BFN's, Femara + Trigger + IUI#1 = BFN
    Femara + Trigger + IUI#2 = BFP!
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." ~Gandhi
  • Options
    its definitely a possibility that it could cause m/c or at least prevent implantation.  Definitely talk to your Dr about it.  You can ask them for Crinone, its a natural progesterone gel that you start taking around 3DPO.  Good Luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

*badge warning*

My LP is 11 days, always. I don't know if I'm really officially diagnosed with LPD, but I know my RE had it on my paperwork. I was treated with progesterone suppositories (100mg twice daily, then three times daily when I was 6w) starting 3DPO and until 10w pregnant. I was started on progesterone after my second loss which was a CP. So I was on it for my third loss (which ended up being a chromosomal issue). 

My OB gave me the option of oral pill or suppository, but said she preferred suppository because it didn't need to be processed by my liver and went more directly to the target.  My RE only uses suppositories.

Good luck at your appointment.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had a short LP for a few cycles following my m/c. I knew something was wrong, but I was never officially diagnosed with a LPD. I had read about taking a B-complex vitamin which helps lengthen the LP for some.

So I called my doctor and asked if it was ok to take the B-complex along with my prenatal and he had no problem with that. I figured I would try taking it a cycle or two and if that didn't work, I would give my doctor another call.

Fortunately, after just one cycle, my LP jumped from 9 days to 13 days! I definitely didn't expect it to jump that much but I'm guessing the B-complex helped.

imageimageimage
    BFP #1 ~ EDD 5.20.2012 ~ MC 10.1.2011
    BFP #2 ~ EDD 11.15.2012 ~ CP 3.7.2012
    BFP #3 ~ DS born 12.03.2012

FF Chart
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Everyone, thank you for the responses. They are all very helpful. I hate the idea of TTAing again but I want to be safe than sorry.

DS born 2009
    BFP#2 ~ 8/2/11, EDD 4/11/12, D&C 9/12/11 at 9w5d
    BFP#3 ~ 4/15/12, EDD 12/21/12 ~ DD born 12/22/12
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have not been diagnosed with a luteal phase defect, but my OB had enough concerns with my short 10-11 day LP, that she gave me a presription for progesterone suppositories to use starting at 3dpo. We are TTA by choice right now, but I am glad to have the suppositories for whenever we start TTC again. They are not necessarily proven to help, but they won't hurt anything so to me it is worth a shot.
    BFP#1 7/09 DS born 3/30/10 BFP#2 5/11 M/C 6/11 BFP#3 9/11 M/C 10/11 BFP #4 5/20/12 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

This is only my second month charting, but if my LP is on the shorter side this month, I may alert my OB.  It was 11 days last cycle, so we'll see.  

Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I tried vitamin B6 which didn't work.  I also tried Clomid which maybe got me an extra day but the thing that really worked was progesterone.  I would start using it right after I knew I had ovulated (I charted) and would continue taking it until I either got my period or got a positive test.

Doctors all seem to have different opinions on lp defects.  Some don't even think it's an issue, others believe you need to strengthen ovulation in order to extend it and others are content to boost progesterone during the lp phase to get it longer.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    I've been reading up on it too, my last two (of the cycles I charted, so 1 before m/c and 1 after m/c) were only 8 days. My OB said to TTC anyway, but there are progesterone creams and stuff to help lengthen it. GL.

Baby #3 is on the way! EDD  3/8/15
    DD1--8/29/10
    DD2--11/6/12

• Options
    I should say that my OB was more concerned about my late O day + potential short LP. She doesn't just trust charting, so I'm doing OPKs this month too to make sure we can pinpoint the problem.

Baby #3 is on the way! EDD  3/8/15
    DD1--8/29/10
    DD2--11/6/12

• Options

Hi...I was given oral progesterone last time, but still had a loss (and baby was chromosomally healthy) so next time, my OB suggests Clomid. I haven't decided what to do yet.

I agree with pp- every doctor is different and some feel just doing progesterone is treating a symptom and not the cause, if that makes sense.

Gl!

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"