Health & Exercise

Heart rate gets higher than normal

Hello! I need some help. I am 5 weeks pregnant with our first...and I am 34. About 4 years ago I lost over 100 pounds through exercise and Weight Watchers. I am in maintenance mode. However, I still exercise about an hour a day, 5 days a week. I have noticed in the last week my heart rate (I wear a Polar Heart Rate Monitor) has been getting pretty high for me.

Before I was pregnant, my heart rate would top out about 155-160 during intense cardio. Recently in my cardio classes my heart rate has been consistently hitting the 160s and today during a weight training class it was about 156 for nearly the entire class.

Is this OK? Should I dial it down a bit? Everything I have read said just don't try to advance your fitness in your first trimester.

Re: Heart rate gets higher than normal

• I didn't start monitoring my HR until after I became pregnant.  It seems like a normal, average HR for me is anywhere from 160 - 175, but I've been cutting back as much as I can to keep an average HR of 160, per doctors orders for 1st trimester.  Last night during kick boxing I got as high as 193, noticed that I had a hard time breathing, left the class, then had a nervous breakdown in my car.  I wish I would and could focus on what my body's telling me rather than what the HR monitor is telling me.
    BabyName Ticker
  • That happens when you are pregnant. your blood is pumping extra hard.  

You really have to listen to your body. NEVER go to the point where you cant talk. You should never feel winded or out of breath where you cant speak.

remember to listen to your body. 

Suzanne & Pasquale 9/9/07
    Our Journey in Blog.
    My Blog
    Our Sweet boy Luca Salvatore 10/6/10 & Our precious daughter, Arianna Regina 4/9/13
  • Loading the player...
  • My heart rate has increased as well.  You can't rely on your HRM entirely.  Just listen to your body and don't push yourself too much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"