Breastfeeding

Nipple sizes - bottles

I'm going back to work soon, so we've introduced a bottle, and he's taking it just fine. However, he spent the day with a sitter yesterday and had 3 4oz bottles of BM, which is more than he's ever had from a bottle in one day. He was so fussy/gassy last night and I wonder if it's from eating so much from a bottle. He's currently using Avent 4oz btls with a size 1 nipple. He's 11 wks old. 

When do I increase the nipple size? Will this help with the gassiness? Will it cause him to get frustrated with the flow when breastfeeding? 

Should I try a different bottle?

Thanks! 

Re: Nipple sizes - bottles

• With breastfed babies, you shouldn't go over a size 1 nipple. I use a newborn nipple for my 5 month old DD, no problems going back to breast.

We use the Avent bottles as well, and I've never had a problem with gassiness, but each baby is different. I've heard people say wonderful things about Dr Brown's, you could try that?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We never switched from the newborn nipple. 

If he gets milk faster from a bottle he's going to get frustrated while nursing b/c he can't get it as fast from you. Leave him a the newborn.

How long was he at the sitter? The sitter needs to find ways to calm/soothe him w/o feeding him.  It's up to you to do that and to each her how to bottle feed a breastfed baby.

He was probably gassy b/c he over ate.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • With my first I only pumped, so we used a bottle all of the time. I think it was around 3 or 4mths (not sure, can't remember) when we went from slow flow nips to med flow. The reason for the switch was because I took him to the pedi to see why he kept getting so mad during feedings. He would start to eat, then let go and cry. Pedi said he was just upset because milk wasn't coming out fast enough for him. I was skeptical, but sure enough, when we switched he was fine again. So that's how we knew when to move up to the med flows.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"