D.C. Area Babies
Options

Getting desperate

We thought we had found a new nanny, she was set to start on Monday, accepted our offer, benefits package etc. and then just decided she got a better offer elsewhere (we're guessing) and just let us know on Sunday that she wouldn't be starting.  I'm tearing my hair out here.  I still have 3 weeks of work before I start maternity leave and no one to watch DS (besides the 6hrs he's in pre-school on Tuesday and Thursday).  We have ads on DC Urban Moms, Craigslist, SitterCity, Care.com - am I missing anything?! We looked into White House Nannies but the cost is pretty exorbitant and it looks like a placement takes anywhere from 2-8 weeks and we don't have that much time. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Getting desperate

• Options
    Do you have any friends with nannies that might be willing to nanny share for a few weeks until you find someone? Or, any SAHM friends who might help you out and watch DS for a few days/week? That's such a tough spot to be in. I know a lot of people who have gone through similar sitautions as you, and they all said it just took a lot of time to find the right person.
  • Options
    Do you have any neighbors that are SAHM's or maybe a retired neighbor that would be willing to help you out for a few weeks?  I know some daycare have drop in rates, but I don't know of any in NOVA.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We've pretty much checked out all our options. I'm sort of able to make it work for the next 2 weeks, but we really need to find a decent nanny. I can't even begin to tell you how many we've interviewed over the past few weeks (20?) and then we finally picked one, whom we thought was great, spent HOURS on the phone with her references, only to have her flake.  

• Options
    Do you know anyone who is in MONA?  Their listserv seems really active, and someone could post it there for you.  Or does the MOMS Club of FC have a listserv?
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I went through something similar and finally used this site - https://www.nannypoppinz.com/ - yes - it is expensive - but in the end it was worth it to have reliable child care.  And you only pay if they find you someone you like - and you can pay in installments to make it easier.

They guarantee back-up care once you sign w/them.  This was huge for me.  Plus - they can give you a temporary nanny while you are searching.

Good luck!  I have been in that position and it is not fun!

• Options

imagevml14:
    Do you know anyone who is in MONA?  Their listserv seems really active, and someone could post it there for you.  Or does the MOMS Club of FC have a listserv?

Yeah the MOMs group does and I've posted there but nothing has panned out. I don't know anyone in MONA. 

• Options

is putting him into DC full-time until you find a nanny an option?

• Options
    I'm sure you already exhausted this, but do you have family who can come temporarily and help?  A friend in a similar position had an out of work family member come stay with them for a while to give them some time to sort out childcare. 
  • Options
    imageSofka:

is putting him into DC full-time until you find a nanny an option?

Not really. He goes to school twice a week.  Plus we really only need  2-3 other days until the baby comes.  I guess it's more about finding the right nanny now for when the baby is here.  

I guess I should have mentioned that my DH started his own company recently and is really not going to be available to help after the new baby is here.  I had severe PPD last time and there's no guarantee I won't go through that again (here's hoping I don't!). My mom passed away when I was a teen, so I don't have that support, and my MIL is way more of a handful than a help. So, I will need a lot of paid help once the new baby arrives, I think.  I'm actually hoping I don't, but I need to be prepared. I'm just a few weeks out from a new baby, and I just want to get all my ducks in a row.  

• Options
    There are short-term/on call nanny placement agencies.  Would that work since you only need a few weeks for now?  We used one for back up care and I can dig up the name of the agency.  I can also post on my local listserve for names.  Let me know if you want any info. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"