Preemies

New here - born at 35w1d - a pumping? For you

Hi ladies-  my son was born on Sunday and went right to the NICU for respiratory distress.  He was itubated for the first day and night ( that was definitely difficult to see).  He's improving everyday and hopefully won't have to spend more than 7-10 days in the NICU, but he definitely won't be coming home with me. 

Anyways, I'm starting to pump and I'm getting nothing - I mean nothing!  The first two pump sessions I got a tiny bit of colostrum and now for the last 4 sessions nothing.  Is that oral?  When should I expect things to pick up? 

TTC#1 since Feb 07 with PCOS and mild MFI
i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart) Our first love and loss 7/2/07

3 cycles clomid TI = BFNs
3 cycles clomid Ovidrel IUI = BFNs
6/27/08 Surprise BFP = chemical pg
IVF#1 July 08 BFP @7dp3dt
TTC #3 since February 2010
FET Sept. and Oct. 2010=BFN's
IVF#2 June 2011=BFP

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: New here - born at 35w1d - a pumping? For you

• Hi!  My DS was born at 36 weeks 3 days and was in the NICU for 7 days.  I would recommend asking to see the Lactation Consultant at the hospital before you're discharged.  She was very helpful to me- helping me get acquainted with the pump, techniques, quesitons, etc.  Also, even after I was discharged, I was able to see her when I visited the NICU and could ask her any questions. I don't know what's "normal" and I'm sure it varies greatly.  My experience was being able to get colostrum starting the day after giving birth (a thursday) when I started to pump, and my transition milk started on Saturday, going to full milk by Sunday (heavily engorged).  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hi! You beat me over here - I just recommended you check us out on your SAIF post! Take a look at the preemie blog link at the top here - lots of good pumping tips. What you are describing sounds a lot like my experience with pumping, so I'd say it is normal. Hang in there mom! Having a baby in the NICU is hard, no matter how long it is!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Since he was just born on Sunday, give yourself some time.   It took several days for my milk to come in and I was definitely discourage because with DS#1, my milk came in a lot faster.   I know someone that gave birth to 28wk twins and she said it took a week for her milk to come in.  

Just keep pumping and try not to get too discouraged.   Spend as much time in the nursery as you can, being around the babies helps.   Drink lots of water and try to get some rest.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • My twins were born at 33 weeks. I pumped and pumped for a very long time before getting a drop. I think that it is normal to take a while to get things going. I would definitely see a lactation consultant though. Even if everything is fine (which I would guess everything is) they are so unbelievably helpful.  
  • My twins were born at 33w0d (I started pumping 20 minutes every 3 hours immediately after they were born) and I did not start getting anything until the day I was discharged (day 5) at that point I was barely getting 1 ounce per breast each pumping session. By the next week, I was getting 1 oz per hour per breast. It just took a long time to get there, but now I make more than enough to feed both plus store 12 ounces a day. I think it all depends on the mom though and how often you pump.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Absolutely NORMAL! Same thing happened to me and I freaked! You can't increase or decrease colostrum the way you can a milk supply- it's there or it isn't. You only make a teaspoon or two every 24 hours. That's why it's liquid gold, EVERY drop counts. You milk will likely come in in the next day or two and then bit by bit you'll get more. Just keep pumping!! It will happen. Don't have time to link it, but Stanford has a great video on hand expressing which sometimes works better with colostrum, it's in the resource blog which is linked at the top of the forum. Check out "all things breastmilk".
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • give it a couple more days, you'll see something!
  • I didn't have the same problem as you but the nurse I spoke to tonight while visiting my boys said that she had the exact same problem and sometimes it just happens. You probably get tired of hearing it but every woman is different and no two pregnancies/pumping scenarios are the same. Whatever you do, just keep with it. I know it's hard for me and I really don't enjoy doing it, but I stick with it because I know it's best for the boys. As hard as it is, try relaxing and make sure to get sleep. Keep up the fluids and eat regular meals, don't skip any. Like a pp said try and spend as much time in the nursery as possible and when you can't be with your baby try looking at pictures, think back to your visit, possibly bring a blanket back with you. If you keep at it your milk should come in within the next week. I would also recommend talking to an LC about any suggestions they have - as my milk was coming in I was told to use warm wash clothes before hand, massage then pump. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"