Breastfeeding

Raynaud's Phenomenon/Vapospasms

Has anyone had recent experience with this? I have been wondering if I was suffering from thrush but my symptoms didn't quite match with those of thrush (and my LO is showing no symptoms-- I know this can happen though). However, further research has led me to believe that I may be experiencing Raynaud's. My nipples are white on the ends and painful when not nursing. I have major sharp pains in my nipples when LO initially latches but they go away after a minute or so. I live in Michigan and so my nipples kill when I go outside...I tell my DH it's like I have THO times 90. I am using a shield but I dread nursing because of the pain I am anticipating feeling both at latch and after nursing is done. Pumping does not hurt like nursing does so I have been doing that but I wondered if anyone had any insight on this. Thank you!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Raynaud's Phenomenon/Vapospasms

• I have Raynaud's. I haven't nursed yet with it, but it is very clear when you have it because your hands and feet get numb and blue once cold, get cold even when you're at a normal temp, etc. I would think if you have Raynaud's, it wouldn't affect just your nipples. 
  • I had these symptoms with DD and have it much less with DS.  It's called nipple blanching and is caused from a bad latch.  You might want to call a lactation consultant to help out.  I honestly thought my latch was ok, then I starting researching and I realized I had to fix it bc my nipple looked flat after DD was nursing.  Once I fixed the latch I was symptom free and nursed for 8 months.  Goodluck!

• Loading the player...
  • You can have vasospasms without Raynaud's - I do. What you are describing sounds just like what I have. My LC had me have floradix and increase my B vitamins. It has helped quite a bit. Also, cover your nipples immediately after baby comes off and keep them warm. Some say wool breast pads work great but I haven't tried them myself. Good luck.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Unfortunately I suffered from this with DS.  It was horrible.  I believe what happened was that I had a bad latch initially and my nipples were totally damaged to begin with plus I had thrush.  All this led to these horrible vasospasms.  My nipples were white after nursing and when exposed to cold.  It was so painful, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that!  I suffered for this for so long because I just couldn't get help.  How I finally got rid of it was through clearing up the thrush first.  I also started applying a heating pad to my chest after nursing.  There were also some supplements that I took, I think it may have been magnesium and calcium.

Here's a help sheet on it: https://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52:vasospasm-and-raynauds-phenomenon&catid=5:information&Itemid=17 

and here's a post that I posted when I had it, in case this other woman's experience might help. https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/30730382.aspx

Good luck!  It made breastfeeding soo incredibly awful last time.  I cried every time DS latched and when we finished and my nipples blanched.  I wanted to quit every day.  But I stuck with it and ended up having a great breastfeeding experience, so hopefully you can gets this cleared up too!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have Reynauds- only of the nipple, nowhere else. Nursing is excruitiating- I've become an exclusive pumper. For me, nursing didn't hurt when DD first latched...but it quickly became painful and stayed painful. Pumping was excruitiating at first, but then went numb and was fine. So I stuck with that. Less pain overall.

I'm on Nifedepine- its a calcium channel blocker that is supposed to help. Its an RX so your doctor will have to prescribe it, but its worth asking for. I started on the 30mg dose, and when that wasn't working, they bumped me up to the 60mg dose (the highest, I'm told). Its not fixed the problem, but its better. I still have the blanching and bruising, but it no longer feels like needles at the beginning of pumping. STill hurts some but I can handle it.

As far as natural stuff- you can take Vitamin B...but that can hurt your supply. You can take calcium/magnesium supplements, and you can take Evening Primrose Oil pills. They didn't work for me, but I've read they work for others. Staying warm is also important....keep them covered as much as possible. GL!

• NeenyW,

Thank you. The more I research online the more I think this is what is going on with me. I am going to call my LC today and ask her about it. Have you found that increasing your B vitamins has lowed your production at all? I'm so happy to hear there may be some help out there so I can keep nursing!

• Megs68,

Thank you so much for your response. As bad as it sounds, it is nice to hear someone has gone through similar experiences. DS had a bad latch at the beginning (he was tongue tied). My nipples were a MESS-- cracked, cut, bloody. I used a shield, had his tongue clipped, and my LC checked his latch. I just assumed that the pain I was continuing to feel was just breastfeeding...it just was supposed to hurt, especially at the beginning. However, the more I've read and researched I'm realizing this is not normal and that there may be a solution. I told my DH last night it makes me sad because it really is making me want to quit breastfeeding. I have been exclusively pumping the past couple days to give myself some relief (nipples still hurt but not as bad because latching/blanching not happening). I'm a little worried about DS having difficulty going back to the breast from the bottle if I can get back to that.  I'm glad that I'm at least able to pump though. I am going to call my LC and ask her help and advice. Thank you again for the information and showing me that I can get through this!

• Jillian,

Thank you for your advice and sharing your experience. I've starting just exclusively pumping the last two days to give myself a break from the pain. Pumping doesn't hurt too bad-- no where near what breastfeeding is like and so like you-- less pain overall. 

Thanks again!

• imagesarahmaria726:

NeenyW,

Thank you. The more I research online the more I think this is what is going on with me. I am going to call my LC today and ask her about it. Have you found that increasing your B vitamins has lowed your production at all? I'm so happy to hear there may be some help out there so I can keep nursing!

No supply issues with the vasospasms. The Floradix has additional iron as well as B vitamins, so maybe that is why. I am, however, having supply issues now that I am on a total elimination diet to help pinpoint what I am eating that is affecting LZo so much. It sucks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"