January 2012 Moms
Options

Team Green Turned Team Blue (with a little help from this board)

On January 25 at 11:56 PM Grover Gerard was delivered! At 4:30 AM the previous morning I woke up to a little bit of wetness in my night shorts. Thinking it was a little odd, I changed to a different pair and had similar wetness experiences at 6 and 7 AM.  Someone on this board posted a similar story about a very small amount of wetness that turned out to be amniotic fluid. Without reading this, I would have never considered the possibility that my water had broken.  We called the OB at 8 am and were told to go to L&D to check if it was indeed amniotic fluid. We double checked our bags, took showers (SO happy that I took time to do this), stopped for bagels and coffee on the way. I was so nervous/excited that I only ate half the bagel--definitely would have eaten more in hindsight since the next time I saw food was at 3 AM! 

The triage nurses quickly identified that my water had broken and told me to start walking laps to hopefully induce active labor. DH and I walked around the ward for an hour with very mild contractions.  Once they had me in the room I was strapped to a drip of pitocin. Luckily, I came in at 4 cm already.  From 11:30 AM to 11:30 PM I labored. I avoided an epidural until the contractions were coming every 2 to 3 minutes at which point it was such a welcome relief! Our parents visited periodically throughout the day and the whole experience felt so surreal!

At 10:30 the OB was concerned that I had stalled at 7cm, she ordered an antibiotic drip and told us that if we didn't progress in an hour then she wanted to perform a c-section since my water had been broken for over 18 hours at that point. All of our parents went home, thinking that we would be in for long haul.  At 11:30 the OB returned and announced that it was a GO and that the baby would be delivered before midnight! DH quickly texted all the grandparents to get back to the hospital (so they could be there right AFTER the baby arrived). I pushed for 20 minutes and out came our little darling man.  It was the most incredible moment when the doctor held him up and my husband turned to me and told me that it was a boy.  The NICU team was present because there had been evidence of meconium in the fluid and he was quickly cleaned off and deemed in great health.  The nurse then handed him to me and I immediately fell in love.

Today was the first day that I felt ready to come back onto the internet (or even open my computer).  Being a new mom is more overwhelming than I could ever have planned for but as each day has brought great trials, fears and lots of tears--they have also been awesome.  Looking forward to sharing in everyone's experiences as we take care of our growing little ones.  

Thanks for reading (from someone that frequented this board quietly throughout her entire pregnancy).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Team Green Turned Team Blue (with a little help from this board)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"