Breastfeeding

I need some encouragement.

DD and I had to quit nursing after 10 days because she had caused deep crevices in my nipples due to a bad latch and poor suckling combined with bad positioning.  We started meeting with a LC and she advised me to pump and bottle until my nipples healed.  It took a long time for them to heal and they are now better.  Since then, DD has been at the breast less than once a day.  She is now a month old and I'm having a really hard time with the situation we're in.  I'm so glad she's getting breast milk, but I was so looking forward to nursing, and it's not going as I had hoped.  Even now when she's at the breast, she's only there for a few minutes before she gets frustrated because she is used to the bottle.  I'm very emotional about this.  The LC is confident that we're going to get the hang of it but I'm less confident since it has been so long and we've made such little progress.  I'm so sad that we've already lost a month of breastfeeding, and I don't want to lose much more time.  I guess I'm just looking for some encouragement and maybe some success stories.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I need some encouragement.

• Could you try a nipple shield? Right now DS and I use that because I had to start him on formula right away because of jaundice. He then got used to the bottle and I couldn't get him to latch. At some point I'm going to try to wean him from the shield but in the mean time it let's me nurse him and he still gets breast mill and our bonding time. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't get discouraged...it honestly isn't as easy as people and the LC make it out to be. Just try and cherish the time you are feeding and think of it as bonding..maybe sing to your LO or talk to them. I love BF my DD, I'll rub her head and tell her about my dad...the one person who will listen and can't talk back but seem interested.
    MeandMrsJones Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • As pp said a nipple shield might be a good option, or maybe one of those supplemental feeding systems... I know it is really hard but just try at the beginning of every session and eventually you'll get the hang of it. If you feel up to it try to get to a breast feeding support group like le leche league!
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Take a deep breath!  Your being upset (while completely understandable) won't help and may actually hurt a little.  LO may sense your frustration and fee off of it.  Just take a deep breath and approach each attempt with an optimistic point of view.  Keep up with the LC's advice and take it one session at a time.  And know that your dedication thus far is awesome as any and all breastmilk your baby gets is great.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS was early and I had huge supply issues, so long story short I gave up regular nursing for my own sanity from about 6 weeks until almost 3 months.  I'd still try now and then, but for the most part I pumped and bottle fed because we had the same issues you describe, but as a preemie I had to make sure he had enough energy to finish a bottle after his nursing efforts.   Around 3 months he started dropping a night feed, which meant I had a 6 hour stretch where I didn't have to pump and my supply could build up enough to have a full successful nursing session.  So I gave it a shot again and he latched like a champ and I've been nursing every morning since (still pump during the day because it works for us).  If I hadn't had supply issues I could have done it a lot sooner.  GL!

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Deep breath.  Just think of this as starting from Day 1.  You know how everyone says the first 6 weeks are the hardest?  Well you're now in the same position.  It'll get easier - you just need to be kinder to yourself.  She will get the hang of this.  You will get the hang of this.  Keep offering her the breast and eventually she'll realize this is where food comes from and if she wants to eat, then she better do it from the breast.

Remember - even "little progress" is still progress!

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"