D.C. Area Babies

preschool questions

LO is 26 months, but I'm thinking about probably getting him into some part time preschool in the fall or next spring - something like 2-3 hours for 2 days/week or something like that.

I didn't set aside anything this year for "dependent care" to be taken pre-tax from my salary.  Is preschool even eligible for this?  If so, should I wait until next spring to enroll him in something like this?   

Is it like daycare, where we need to be on a waitlist? 

DH is a SAHD, so he's not in a daycare situation - we'd have to take him wherever for just that alloted time.

Thanks in advance!

Re: preschool questions

• Dear NJ,

My daughter started preschool in the fall. It is one of the few schools that permitted 2 year olds around here. She attends twice a week for 2.5 hours. Tuition is ~150 a month (granted, this is in Illinois...). Very worth it. I wouldn't say she is learning a lot right now, but it is more of a structured play and social opportunity for her. She loves the crap out of it and wakes up nearly every morning, asking if it is a school day. The first few weeks, she had stage fright, but got over that pretty quickly.  I do find that I wish it were three hours, instead of 2.5. It's still hard to be productive in 2.5 hours. It would still be nice for your DH to have a few hours a week of head-clearing time.

Regarding waitlists, a lot of schools have enrollment right around this time of year, so start scoping out where you want the kiddo to attend. Priority usually goes to church members (if it is faith based) or if the kid has older siblings already in attendance. Our pretax DOES qualify for preschool, as long as it is a legit school.

Be sure to ask what curriculum the school follows. I'm not as concerned right now about the curriculum, because I see this as primarily socialization for H1, but down the road, I am more interested. I MIGHT switch her to a different school next year that is inspired by the Reggio Emelia approach (which I LOVE). Since they only start at three year olds, it wasn't an option for us this year.

I'm a foooooooool for school,

kewliegirl

imageimageimage
  • Definitely look into schools ASAP.  Most of the part-time preschools are in the midst of enrollment now, with deadlines that were in January or are coming up in early February. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • yes, it is FSA eligible

• Right now is PS open house season for next school year.  Most of the types of schools you are looking for run on a school-year schedule, and accept applications in Jan or Feb.  Lots of the schools fill up quickly, especially depending on the area where you live. There is a good listing on preschools on Our-Kids.com, which is a good place to start.  Typically for a 3 year old, they go 3 days per week. 

Good luck!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Whoa, ok, I'm glad I asked.  Didn't realize it was like college where you have to apply so far in advance!  I'll get on the our-kids site and take a look.

Thanks for everyone's input!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"