Upstate NY Babies

Have you waitressed before?

After the crunching the numbers, DH and I realized that a little more than half of my paycheck is going to daycare every month.  So we are now looking into me working part time, and staying home with the kids during the day.  He's totally on board with this, and I am so excited!

So...

1.  Have you waitressed?

2. What did you love about it?

3.  what did you hate about it?

4.  Did you work a different part time job that you loved? 

thanks!

Re: Have you waitressed before?

• 1. I waitressed for 1 year in college

2. I loved the fast pace

3. smelling like mexican food(my mom wouldn't let me sit on the furniture until i took a shower), being the low man on the totem pole meant that when it got slow I was the first to get sent home

4. I was a pharmacy tech in college and really liked that

• 1. Sort of - I worked at a restaurant as a hostess for a little while in college (to earn money for a vacation) and did some waitressing with that.

2. I didn't love it.

3. The people, haha.

4. I worked in the ticket office for our performing arts center - and that was really fun. I worked every saturday and then the nights of shows and other events. If I were to get a second job it would be in anything BUT waitressing, actually. Preferably an office, but I've also worked at a grocery store and that wasn't nearly as stressful.

GL!! I hope you find something that is PERFECT for you! Would your current job give you a flex schedule/work from home type thing? A LOT of jobs are doing that now and it wouldn't hurt to ask! Esp since I'm assuming you would want to return to work full time once the kids are in school and I have a couple friends/family that are having issues with REentering the workforce.

• Loading the player...
  • I never have but my BFF did in high school and college.  She actually just went back PT and stays home with her kids during the day since her unemployment is going to be running out.  She loves it!

I worked at Wegmans for 10 1/2 years throughout high school and college and I loved it.  The company is great, flexible hours and I met a lot of really great people, including DH!

DD1: 3/31/10 DD2: 9/7/11
  • I worked at Bob Evans in college.  It was a good first waitressing job for me, because it wasn't too busy.  When I felt comfortable enough, they started scheduling me for weekend mornings, which was when I made good money.  I did like it, though. 

I always liked the idea of finding a part-time job that you could benefit from.  i.e. working at a children's clothing store, so you could also take advantage of the discount.  Think about where you spend a lot of money, and consider if the discount would be worth it.

And of course, there's always direct sales.  I'd be happy to talk to you about that option if you want.  

• 1.  Have you waitressed? Yes. My mom owned a restaurant when I was growing up so I waitressed from the time I was about 15. I also waitressed/bartended in college (4 years).

2. What did you love about it? Honestly, it was good money:) I used to work Fridays/Saturdays for 10 hours and Sundays for 8 hours. It was tough but I'd have all week off. I often made more there than I do now in my career.

3.  what did you hate about it? It's exhausting, if anything goes wrong it's YOUR fault and then you don't get a tip. People are hard to deal with but if you accept that 25% of the people will be complete and total jerks, it's fine.

4.  Did you work a different part time job that you loved? I worked for Limited but I didn't make that much. Bartended, which I loved! I want to do it again after B gets a little older. Great money but late nights.  

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

• Yes, I worked at Friendly's from 16-23, and I loved it. I made pretty good money (especially when I was young, I made so much more than my friends in HS), I liked the fast pace, and I liked having cash all the time. I hated coming home smelling like grease and with fudge, ice cream, etc all over me. I have thought about waitressing again since it is such quick money. Around where we live there are so many options.  

• Thanks for the input girls!  I have never waitressed before and DH is all about it since it's "usually" good money.  We'll see what I find out there.
  • Yup, I worked at Chilis in college.  I quit to work as a pharmacy tech for the experience, but sure missed the money fom chilis at the time!  I also missed getting to eat the food while I worked - that was an awesome perk for a college student haha.  I loved the tips and the fast pace.  I hated slow nights and how late I had to stay sometimes.  I hated it when a table skipped the check, because that came out of my tips.
  • I did a short stint as a Hooter's Girl! I loved it, great money and a huge ego boost! lol

It was a PT job on top of my FT daycare job. I quit when I couldn't have the weekend off to follow the Blue Angels to MI, you know....cause I was "in love".

If my priorities had been in check I would have stayed, but I was young and dumb.

I am not sure I would wait tables now, but I really can't do any PT job since dh's schedule just plain sucks.

• hmmm... Wegmans is a good option, I would also check out a temp agency... they sometimes have PT jobs that will pay well and could be temp to hire..

What about house cleaning? My mom used to do that when we were kids, and would make $250-$500 per week once she had herself established with clients each day.

Substitute teaching will also net you $100 a day in the city

• 1. Have you waitressed?

Yes, I worked in restaurants for over 15 years.  I did everything, server, bartender, hostess, banquets, manager...  I was even a beverage serve at Turning Stone for a year or so.

2. What did you love about it?

Evenings, good money, fast paced, meeting lots of people.

3. what did you hate about it?

The money and hours are very inconsistant.  A lot of the people who work in the food industry have drug and alcohol addictions.  DRAMA.  Weekends are almost mandatory at any restaurant job.

• Sure have.. I have been waitressing since I was 18.. just on weekends in college, then full time or close to it through grad school and once we got married.. and back to part time (25ish hours) after Eve was born.

I love that I can make decent money with not a lot of hours.. I love that I can be home in the day time with my girls. I usually like my customers and most of my coworkers.

As for the hates, I think what mindy said pretty much sums it up. There is a lot of drama, and you have to wait on assholes too, and sometimes you bust your butt for not so much money.

having said all that.. being totally honest.. I am not sure there are a ton of restaurants out there that are gonna hire a 30ish year old with 2 kids and no experience.. You might be able to start as a hostess and work your way up but hostessing is not gonna pay any bills.

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • imageMelissaSue81:

having said all that.. being totally honest.. I am not sure there are a ton of restaurants out there that are gonna hire a 30ish year old with 2 kids and no experience.. You might be able to start as a hostess and work your way up but hostessing is not gonna pay any bills.

this was my thought process too, but DH was pushing the idea kind of so I said I would ask around.  And I have now done so, and he can shut up!  Honestly it scares the crap out of me.  What if I dropped an entire tray of drinks on someone?  I would quit right there.  haha!

• imagemeryltheresa:

After the crunching the numbers, DH and I realized that a little more than half of my paycheck is going to daycare every month.  So we are now looking into me working part time, and staying home with the kids during the day.  He's totally on board with this, and I am so excited!

So...

1.  Have you waitressed? Yes for about 6yrs in college

2. What did you love about it? Great money for a relatively short shift

3.  what did you hate about it? Idiot people who don't tip well, working weekends, you tend to work with a lot of youngsters 

4.  Did you work a different part time job that you loved? I work pt now at a docs office.i don't love it but don't hate it ( just some of the coworkers)

thanks!

• I've never waitressed, but I worked at Starbucks for about a year.  My favorite job by far though was working at the front desk of a hotel.  I was only 19/20 at the time, but was mature and reliable, so I advanced to a management position within 6 months (because there is a lot of turnover in that industry).  It was busy enough, but also downtime to read, plus I really liked problem solving and dealing with the public.  People will be rude anywhere you work, but I think you can handle it.

You could also become a birth and/or post-partum doula.  You pick your own hours and make a pretty decent amount of money depending on how many births/hours you do.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemeryltheresa:

So...

1.  Have you waitressed? Yes, for 12+ years

2. What did you love about it?  I loved the fast pace, the challenge of getting an awesome tip, the interaction with lots of people.  I always said that I would love to waitress PT and be a PT PT, but now being a little older, I think that I will stick with PT :)

3.  what did you hate about it?  The fact that weekend nights were when I could make the most money.  I also hated the sidework at the end of the night.

4.  Did you work a different part time job that you loved?   Soccer ref...I loved this (great money, very flexible, and exercise).  

thanks!

imageimage PHOTO Credit: Meryl :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemeryltheresa:

imageMelissaSue81:

this was my thought process too, but DH was pushing the idea kind of so I said I would ask around.  And I have now done so, and he can shut up!  Honestly it scares the crap out of me.  What if I dropped an entire tray of drinks on someone?  I would quit right there.  haha!

this is what I was going to say... not to be a downer! Before I went back to work FT I looked for a server job for close to a year w/ no luck. Most places promote the hostess and a lot of places told me there was a long wait list of people who wanted to be waiting tables.  

• imageNikCole:
    imagemeryltheresa:

imageMelissaSue81:

this is what I was going to say... not to be a downer! Before I went back to work FT I looked for a server job for close to a year w/ no luck. Most places promote the hostess and a lot of places told me there was a long wait list of people who wanted to be waiting tables.  

Yeah, places generally like to hire ppl with experience.  You would be amazed at the number of people who walk off the job on their first day of training!  And the problem with ppl who are over 25 and have never waited tables is that they often end up not wanting to actually work the hours.  Every Fri and Sat night until late.  Most places need 100+% of their staff on during weekends and busy holidays like Thanksgiving, New Years and Easter.  I'm not saying it is you, just a determent employers have.

• imagemeryltheresa:

Honestly it scares the crap out of me.  What if I dropped an entire tray of drinks on someone? 

LOL.  I have done this.  TWICE! 

• 1. Yup. I waitressed for about a year in college for a chain restaurant.

2. Hmm I think what I loved best was the social aspects of it and of course getting to eat super yummy food! :)

3. Scheduling. I could only work like 3-4 shifts a week due to my class load and the scheduling guy was just a jerk about it and would schedule me for times I couldn't work.

4. I really loved life guarding which I know is probably not an option for you right now :)! But it was so much fun ! 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1.  Have you waitressed? Yes- and I was quite possibly the *worst* one ever...

2. What did you love about it? I liked leaving with cash at the end of the night, I liked coming in early and eating my dinner at a discount and I liked that I was really "invested" in the place- I went, I worked, I left...

3.  what did you hate about it? where to begin?!- I hated the college students who didnt tip (I'm talking about tables of 5-7 leaving NOTHING), I hated the lifers who thought they were the be-all and end all of the place (you're a server- get a grip), I hated the drama of the people who hung out together and that they brought it to work, 

4.  Did you work a different part time job that you loved?  I liked bartending- that was all kinds of awesome- I liked when I was an options counselor at a womens clinic- I loved coaching cheerleading

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1) For years back in college

2) Meh, not a whole ton.

3) The hours. The constant running around

4) Coaching swimming. I love it. But I certainly don't do it for the money!  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"