Adoption
Options

Intro and questions

Hello! My husband and I are in the very very early stages of the adoption process. As in..haven't actually started the process yet. :-) We're working on saving up some more money and hope to start with an agency this coming Fall.We're looking into domestic infant adoption.

We live in MN - so does anyone have a MN agency to recommend? I was also looking at adopting from Texas so any recommendations for an agency from Texas would be appreciated.

Other questions.. We're not going to have the entire amount saved up by the time we start the process but will have a good chunk of it saved and are sure we'll be able to save the rest while we're waiting to be matched or will be able to figure something out if we're matched right away. Does this seem legit? Or have people found it's best to have all of the money saved up front? 

Thanks! We've known we've wanted to adopt since we got married and are very excited at the prospect of actually starting the process within the semi-near future. :-)

Re: Intro and questions

• Options

Hi and welcome. If you haven't already, check out the FAQs at the top of the board. Lots of good resources there.

No agencies to recommend, but hopefully others will chime in. I think Gladney is in TX.

As for the $ aspect, our agency asked us to be ready with the match fee pretty early on in the process. Their reasoning was that it was the biggest fee, and if we had a quick match, that would have to be available. The rest (application fee, homestudy fee, etc.) we paid as we went along. IMO as long as you can get it relatively quickly, you should be good.

GL and post often!

• Options

I've been reading some of the FAQ posts - very helpful.

I've looked into Gladney and think they look great but wanted to see if there were other TX suggestions or MN ones. DH thinks MN might be better because it would not include so many travel costs (flight, etc.). I'm waiting to hear back from a couple agencies in MN but thought I'd see if anyone on here had experience with one. 

I'll continue my FAQ research :-)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are doing an international adoption, but we did not have all the money saved when we started (still don't).  We had about half saved and showed our caseworker our plan for saving and raising the rest; so far she has been satisfied with that.  Welcome and GL!

TTC September 2010 thru October 2011
    SA February 2011: Normal
    RE App. October 2011 - Recc. Clomid and IUI

Taking a break from TTC to pursue adoption

Met our 2 year old son in Russia July 2012!
    Court trip October 2012
    Home November 24 2012!

Back to RE Summer 2013. TTC journey continues: 

Dx DOR, endometriosis, low sperm count 
    Clomid + IUI#1, #2 = BFN / IUI #3 = ???

Laparoscopy scheduled December 2013

Adding a Burden
  • Options
    imageCasaRosa:

I've been reading some of the FAQ posts - very helpful.

I've looked into Gladney and think they look great but wanted to see if there were other TX suggestions or MN ones. DH thinks MN might be better because it would not include so many travel costs (flight, etc.). I'm waiting to hear back from a couple agencies in MN but thought I'd see if anyone on here had experience with one. 

I'll continue my FAQ research :-)

we are in mn and any agency you look at is going to have a very long wait time. we looked into a few agencies here and we are open to any race and they still told us that it would be 18 months at least. one agency told us they have 5 birthmoms at a time and at least 20 waiting families. im not discouraging you from finding a mn agency just letting you know what we found out.

we are using a consultant instead and an estimated wait time of less than 6 months maybe less if your open to any race. if you are interested in that info you can pm me!

good luck with everything!!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Wille2B - i just sent you a PM!
  • Options
    I know you said you looked into Gladney and were looking for other options, but I have to chime in and say that Gladney is FABULOUS.  We used them for both of our daughters (currently 3 years old and 5 months old).  I can't say enough good things about them.  Plus, if your birth mother ends up being from TX, they can use TX adoption laws.  As you may have learned, TX is a very adoption friendly state.  Good luck in your search.  Finding the right agency/facilitator/lawyer for your family is such an important part of the process!
  • Options

I don't have any personal experience with adoption in Texas (yet!) but through my research I've found the following:

Catholic Charities of Dallas

Aggieland Adoption (out of College Station/Bryan)

Buckner (multiple cities)

Gladney (already mentioned, obviously ;) )

Adoption Advisory (Dallas)

Texas Baptist Home (Waxahachie)

• Options
    You got a PM-hopefully
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"