C-sections
Options

Repeat C-Section Experiences

Background: I had an emergency c-section with my firstborn. I labored eighteen hours, his head ended up wedged sideways in my pelvis and I had nurses inside me trying to rotate him for two hours, tried pushing for three more hours after that and in the end I was way too swollen and he wasn't budging.  He ended up in the NICU for four days b/c with neck issues from being stuck and breathing issues from swallowing meconium.  Because of all this my recovery from this wasn't the greatest, but it wasn't excruciating either.  Having to go to the NICU all the time certainly got me up walking which helped a ton. But I think b/c of all the laboring and pushing I was probably more sore that I will be with my upcoming repeat c-section. 

So to get to the point... those who have had repeat c-sections, were you any less sore or did you recover faster from not laboring prior?

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Repeat C-Section Experiences

• Options

With DS1, I didn't labor to much b/c I couldn't get past 1cm no matter what. It was a pretty easy recovery. I was out of the hospital within 3 days.

With DS2, it was even easier to me. I did stay all 4 days but that was mostly b/c I knew when we got home it was going to be crazy with a 15 month old and a newborn. By week 2 I was up and going like normal and taking care of both boys by myself.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My first was in the NICU for his short life so I would say I had an "easier" recovery from the surgery since I didn't have a baby to take care of. I think my recovery with Lucas was a little longer because I was doing more, but it was still an easy recovery. I've never been in labor so I don't know how that effects the recovery.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't had my repeat c-section yet, but I really didn't labor with DD since we planned to have a c-section a few days later anyway.  My recovery wasn't too bad, and I really only needed Motrin for pain.  I think I took the prescription pain pills 3 times- when I needed to take the tape off my staples (afraid it would really hurt), when I got my staples out and a week or so after DD was born when I overdid it walking around too much, too quickly.  I felt pretty much back to normal pretty quickly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My recovery the first time was more difficult from laboring for 32 hours first.  It was terrible and I didn't feel good for at least 6 weeks and didn't feel normal for much longer.  This time I was up moving around great a week later and had to keep reminding myself to slow down.  I felt totally normal about 3 weeks out.
  • Options
    My rcs and recovery were fantastic! With DD 1 I was induced, labored 21 hours, fully dilated and pushed a little bit before ending up with the c/s. Recovery was pretty bad. I felt awful for about 3 weeks and didn't really feel good for months. I planned to vbac with DD 2 but went too far past due with no progress (so my ob wouldn't induce) so I ended up with an rcs. It was not my plan so obviously I wasn't thrilled but I am so glad it turned out that way! Had my first c/s been anything like my rcs I wouldn't have even wanted the vbac in the first place. The delivery was so much more relaxed and pleasent and my recovery was a breeze. I was in the hospital for 2 days and was feeling good (about 90%) when I was discharged. I was back to 100% by 1 week pp. I was concerned about having a 20 month old and a newborn to take care of but it ended up being very doable. I had DH home for 1 week but didn't have or need any help after that.
  • Options

imagemanbearpig31610:
    My rcs and recovery were fantastic! With DD 1 I was induced, labored 21 hours, fully dilated and pushed a little bit before ending up with the c/s. Recovery was pretty bad. I felt awful for about 3 weeks and didn't really feel good for months. I planned to vbac with DD 2 but went too far past due with no progress (so my ob wouldn't induce) so I ended up with an rcs. It was not my plan so obviously I wasn't thrilled but I am so glad it turned out that way! Had my first c/s been anything like my rcs I wouldn't have even wanted the vbac in the first place. The delivery was so much more relaxed and pleasent and my recovery was a breeze. I was in the hospital for 2 days and was feeling good (about 90%) when I was discharged. I was back to 100% by 1 week pp. I was concerned about having a 20 month old and a newborn to take care of but it ended up being very doable. I had DH home for 1 week but didn't have or need any help after that.

This gives me hope for my RCS!! 

• Options
    I was much less sore and was able to move around a lot better the second time around. DH couldn't believe how much easier I got in/out of bed this time. I was also much less swollen.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 4/9/09 - Chloe, our angel twin Lilypie First Birthday tickers>
  • Options

My rcs recovery was much harder than my first, but....my body had been through a lot between those surgeries (a twin m/c and D&C and a VBAC stillbirth), so....that may have been a big contributing factor.  I also had a left handed dr do my repeat section and there was definitely a weird incision and the tugging was intense -- even DH commented on how much rougher she seemed than my first ob, pulling things around.

Anyway, I've heard way more positive stories about rcs's than negative ones; I just happen to be in the minority.  I'm hoping that my 3rd c/s is more like my first than the second!

m/c feb 07 ~ m/c twins oct 08 ~ Duncan Thomas: born to heaven 5/19/09 - m/c jan 11

My Blog

• Options
    My second c section was significantly harder to recover from than the first. The surguries were very similar so the doctor wasn't sure why I had a harder time but it definitely was tougher. Once I got home, I could move around decently. I was sore etc but the really tough part was in the hospital for me. Good luck!
  • Options

With my first born i also had an emergency C. section which was only less than an hr but afterwards my lil one went into the NICU as well but for 2 weeks. I ended up not listening  to the doc n went to go see her twice a day and didnt take my pills like i was suppose to which caused me to be n pain longer than i thought but anyways im 12 weeks now n hearing other ppls stories has made me a lil scared and ready if i have to have another C/s.

BTW: I did learn that taking it easy and getting alot of rest helps the healing process which i will be doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"