Food Allergy

Nutritional Yeast?

LO has a dairy protein allergy and I EBF, so I'm looking for some cheese substitutes.  I've read about nutritional yeast, and it looks like an interesting option for cheese flavor, but has anyone had any luck using it?  If so, what did you make?  Any ideas on where I can get some really easy recipes using it?  TIA!!

So there's this boy. He kinda stole my heart. He calls me "Mom"

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Voted "Mom of the Year" 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Nutritional Yeast?

• I use it a TON. 

LO loves pasta with earth balance and NY sprinkled on top. It kind of acts like parmesan cheese.  

You can also make "mac and cheese" or a "cream Sauce" with it. I do it by feel, so I don't have a recipe, but you basically mix NY and flour, I would say 3-4 tablespoons NY to 1-2 tablespoons flour. The, melt 1-2 tablespoons Earth Balance in a saucepan.  Add the flour NY mixture and some milk - I would say 3/4 cup? whisk or stir until the lumps disolve and heat until thickened. I add more milk if it gets to thick. Salt and pepper to taste. Play around with measurements - or do a search for a real recipe. 

I use this "sauce" for mac and cheese by adding pasta, and also add spinach, brocoli or other veggies. I've also used it on Pizza for a white pizza.

LO mostly likes is sprinkled on her pasta and veggies with just butter though.

We even brought it on vacation with us.

Before we were diary free we would make popcorn with butter and NY - it  has kind of a cheesy popcorn flavor.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Can you find NY at a regular grocery store?  Is it with other yeast?  Or in the health food/organic section? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • probably not. It's not with regular yeast.

I buy it at a co-op in the bulk section. I bet you could find it at a health food store too, but I'm not sure.

This is what it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast

It looks just like that picture - flakey & yellowish  

• you can find it on amazon too, but it's way more expensive than I can get it at the co-op. It's about $7-$8 a pound at the co-op. One pound goes a long way - it's a light powdery substance. 

• Skinny *** has an awesome vegan gravy that uses it.  I use it in veggie/bean burgers too and with tofu.  It has a nutty, cheesy flavor but its quite salty so taste as you go. I haven't really had a lot of luck with the cheese sauces but I may try another recipe this weekend - GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"