Preemies

Formula for your preemie question?

So my little one, Kendall was put on Enfamil Enfacare 22 cal. since she's been out of the NICU. She is CONSTANTLY uncomfortable and spitting up. Im pretty sure she has reflux, but she was put on meds and that still did nothing. I now with permission from my pediatrician started her today on Soy formula. It's not a higher cal. formula, but i'm hoping it might settle better w/ her stomach.

My questions is...any of you experiance this with your preemie and switching formulas helped the problem? Did they still gain the weight they needed w/out being on the higher cal?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Formula for your preemie question?

• DS did ok on neosure in the hospital at first, but gradually did not. especially when they stopped the HMF. he was on 28cal. 3 days after being home he refused the formula(it was mixed with breastmilk), screamed thru every feed and wouldnt eat. so then we tried plain neosure and plain breastmilk. he would either refuse, puke or be SUPER gassy when he had the formula(we actually tried a few). on plain BM he was totally fine. so he has been on 100% breastmilk since right after he came home and has been so much happier.  recently i had given him formula here and there and he finally did ok. it was enfamil premium and only 2oz here and there. 

as for meds, maybe he needs an increase in the dose or something different. call the pedi and ask. we had DS's adjusted a few times.  

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In the NICU DD was on Similac but when she came home, I put her on Good Start. We really didn't have any major issues with reflux, but I did change her bottles a couple of times before we found the right bottle for us. She finally like Dr. Brown's.

• Loading the player...
  • originally DS and DD were on the 24 cal Similac, but then were switched to Neosure 22cal once they got close to their due date. After DD was home for about a month our pediatrician let us switch her to a regular 20 cal formula because she was growing nicely and the Neosure caused her major gassiness. She has still continued to grow nicely just with the 20 cal formula and her gassiness is much better!
  • thank you guys. She's been on the Similac Infamil Soy brand for a few feedings now and so far i'm already noticing a HUGE difference in her comfort. Fingers are crossed this works and she still gains the weight she needs.
  • You can also ask your doc's how to cut it so that it adds the extra calories in.  DD couldn't handle the preemie formulas, we eventually had to go to Good Start Gentle and it was so much better.  We just cut it a little different so that it had the extra calories still. 
    EDD: 01/08/10, Born 8 weeks early on 11/16/09 at 32w3d due to pre-eclampsia and partial abruption
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Our Family Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"