Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

2.5 is too young to drop the nap, right? Right???

Please tell me it's just a phase.... But DD has been really fighting her naps lately. She's always fought them to some extent, I guess, but now it seems to take her longer to fall asleep for them (she used to pass out within 5-10 minutes - now it's more like 30 minutes). And of course if it takes her longer to fall asleep, she's more likely to stand up in her crib and try to explain to me that no, she's not tired, and yes, it's time to wake up.

Until a few weeks ago I don't think she'd ever skipped a nap unless we were travelling or something, but in the last few weeks she's skipped a nap every 3 days or so. And she seems fine, honestly, the only way it seems to affect her is that I put her to bed earlier at night, she falls asleep faster, and sleeps longer at night. She sometimes gets a bit cranky in the late afternoon but it's nothing a snack or playing outside doesn't fix.

Am I selfish to want her to continue napping when she seems okay most days without a nap? Her total sleep hours are about the same regardless, unless she doesn't get to bed until late.... Anyone else been in this situation with a 2.5 year old fighting (or giving up) naps? Any advice?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 2.5 is too young to drop the nap, right? Right???

• Options

DD gave up napping around 2.5 - right when DS was born. I remember being so exhaused and laying down with her to try to get her to sleep. I'd fall asleep, and wake up covered in stuffed animals while she is playing quietly next to me. She continued to nap at daycare but at home it was a rare occurrence that we could get her to sleep.

DS is only days shy of 3 and still naps regularly. And no, you aren't selfish to want her to nap! I'd keep trying and hopefully it's just a phase.

• Options
    Our DD stopped napping around 1 1/2!! She occasionally will take a 20 minute nap at daycare but never at home. It sucks:(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Don't give up! You need your downtime to be a good mom!

I am holding to nap for as long as possible and if he starts fighting it, the. We will still have 'quiet time' in crib alone for a minimum time... I would think like 1.5-2 hours. Leave books and safe toys in crib. 

Dont give up! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Oh dear, I'm sorry. DS dropped his naps very shortly after he turned 2 (and very shortly after DD was born). They were hit and miss for a while, mostly miss, but I still put him in his room everyday for "quiet time" and the opportunity to nap. I think it's important, even when they're not napping, to have some down time to themselves (and important for momma too!). It was a rough transition, I won't lie. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS is 2 yrs and 4.5 months old.  He already skips naps quite a bit. He goes to bed (has a toddler bed) but ends up staying up the whole time I leave him in there.  Being 8 months pregnant I like the 'quiet time' at least.  We have a video moniter so I do watch him a lot.  He 'reads' books and has his stuffed animals in his room and is quite happy with them if not napping.  So as long as he plays  quietly I don't mind the no naps.  He usually does fine in the afternoon/evening so I guess he doesn't need them all the time anymore.  Very sad though:(  Really wish he would take naps with DD due in 3 weeks!  But oh well.
  • Options
    My son gave up his nap at 2.5. He still (at almost 4) has an hour of 'relax' time every afternoon.
  • Options

DS is fighting naps more lately too. It doesn't help that we switched him to a toddler bed, so now I have to lock his bedroom door so he understands that it's nap time and not play time with mommy. I don't like to do that and he complains at first, but eventually he understands and will either play a while and then go to his bed and sleep, or go to his bed right away if he's tired. He sleeps 2-3 hrs and is a much happier boy when he naps, so I think he still needs them.

I think at this age toddlers are playing control games with you and that's why they fight sleep time. You have to stay in control and sleep train them all over again. It's not fun  *sigh*

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Options
    Hahaha, my DD starting fighting naps at about 18 mos. and by 2 she was done with naps completely.  Now it's almost better if she doesn't nap because then she goes to bed more easily.  2.5 is not too young to drop the nap, sorry!
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Neither of mine made it to 3 napping. The older one napped until 2y 9m, the other one stopped at 2y 2m. In our case napping made them restless at night. They would end up unable to fall asleep until 11-12 at night then woke up early and were ridiculously overtired cranky messes the entire next day. We cut naps, it took a few days of adjustment (and working hard to avoid the nap) but in the end we had happier, better-rested kids. Now I do whatever I can to avoid a nap at all costs because even a 15 minute car nap is enough to keep them up until all hours.

I miss nap time, but am glad to have my evenings to myself. 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD2 stopped napping around that age. She still needs a nap and will fall asleep in the car if we're driving in the afternoon, but she refused to lay down and would sit in her room and play or cry, but never sleep. After a few weeks, we stopped even trying. Sorry! :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"