High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Cerclage and bed rest

I am 21 weeks along and during an u/s last Friday, it was discovered that my cervix measured .8 cm. That's really short, right? I know absolutely nothing about this, and although the doctor explained everything to me I was sort of overwhelmed at the time.The doctor was very concerned and immediately admitted me to the hospital and I was scheduled for a cerclage. I had the surgery yesterday at 1 pm, and luckily I was able to come home yesterday afternoon, b/c the doctor said no membranes were showing and the surgery went well. I'm on bed rest until my follow up appointment later this week, but the doctor seemed to think it was probable that I would be on bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy.

I'm just wondering what any of you may have experienced that have had a short cervix and cerclage, and if you ended up on bed rest for the duration of your pregnancy or not. Any advice or thoughts would really be appreciated.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Cerclage and bed rest

• Options

There are many ladies on here who had emergency cerclage placed after a short cervix was discovered, so they may have more insight to provide.  My incompetent cervix was not caught during my 1st pregnancy and sadly my twins were delivered at 20 weeks.  So it is great (and a true blessing) your doctor caught your cervix and was able to place a cerclage.  For my current pregnancy, I had a preventative cerclage placed at 13 weeks and am on some restrictions (no heavy lifting, no standing more than 60 mins, pelvic rest, etc.).  

From what I have been told by my MFM, bed rest is the typical protocol for a cervix under 2.5-3 cm (anything above a 3 cm is considered "good" in the world of IC).  So unfortunately, I have a feeling you may be on bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy.  However, it sounds like you are doing well and hopefully your cervix will increase in length.  Just try to rest, drinks lots of water, and keep that baby baking as long as possible!  There are several bed rest ladies on here who can give you advice/tips.  I wish you all the best!

BFP #1 6/16/10 - B/G Twins! Born into Heaven on 10/10/10 at 20 weeks due to IC.

BFP #2 5/4/11 - Missed miscarriage on 6/24/11. BFP #3 9/29/11 - Hoping for our rainbow baby!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm sorry this is happening to you. The same thing happened to me and I had a cerc put in at 21w4d to save my twins. They made me wait to dilate to get the stitch, so it was the only thing keeping them in. I spent a total of 16 weeks on bed rest, which was terribly difficult, but obviously worth it. There is a bed rest check in daily on this board and many there are in a similar position. GL to you, you CAN do this.
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes, that is very short - you are very lucky they had enough to perform the cerclage and that it was caught.  My membranes ruptured in my first pregnancy due to dilation and my son was born at 21 weeks, so this pregnancy we did a preventative cerclage just before 13 weeks.  I am on greatly reduced activity, but no bedrest, since everything looks good.

It's very common to be asked to bedrest after an emergent cerclage, and especially in the circumstances you describe (very short cervix).  The way my peri put was this - often bedrest isn't proven to help a shortening cervix, but when you've got the stitch holding everything together, then why not keep gravity from putting additional pressure on the stitch?  His view is that whatever pressure we keep off the stitch, the better off for my cervix.

Bed rest isn't easy - nor is modified activity - but it's worth it.  You can do it!  GL and best wishes.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

My Blog

• Options
    Hi... Sorry to hear about your situation, but like other posters said, it's great to have been discovered early enough for intervention.  My IC was discovered at 20 weeks during a routine appointment.  I have been on modified bedrest and progesterone ever since, holding steady for over 14 weeks now.  It's really hard at first, but it does get easier.  So if you end up on bed rest, know that you WILL get through it!  There are a lot of us here to answer any questions, offer support and help you get through it all.  Come check out our daily check-in post to help pass the time!
  • Options

Hello,

My story is similar to yours. At 19 weeks 4 days  I went in for my ultrasound and that is when it was discovered that I had a very short cervix measuring 0.3cm. I was told I would need a cerclage and it was recommended I have the procedure the same day.

At my follow up appointment one week later my cervical length increased to 1.8 cm. 

I am on modified bed rest, my restrictions include no lifting, no standing for more than 20 mins, no cooking, no housework and pelvic rest (no sex, no bending over and no squatting).

I am now on 2 and half weeks of bed rest. It has been a challenge, but I am enjoying reading, I do the menu planning, I clip coupons, make the grocery list, and research baby items. I am planning to take up crocheting. I miss being able to work and we have had to make some changed financially. 

The ladies on this board are very supportive.

You can do this! Even though it seems like and eternity, the time you may have to be on bed rest is such a short time in your life.

BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm sorry to that you're having to go through this, it IS scary.  I had a cerclage placed @ 21 weeks when I got down to 1.7cm. A little longer than yours, but it's fantastic that they found it when they did!

That said, I was on BR since 21 weeks and just allowed off @ 35 weeks (last Saturday).  I cannot believe I made it this long and although it seemed like we would never make it to full term, it's right around the corner.

The time will drag and seem endless, but just know that you are doing what's best for your baby. There are many ladies here in a similar situation. One of the things that really comforted me, from what I read (even on the scarey internet) there were far more success stories than not. Yes, unfortunately, not everyone has a happy ending, but the odds are on your side!!

Take care of yourself, this too shall pass...

Arrived 4.5 weeks early due to PROM
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Cerclage placed @ 21w6d due to CI (IC)
  • Options
    Hi! I had my cerclage placed 2 1/2 weeks ago at 20w2days. I was measuring 1.4cm and at my 2 week follow-up after the surgery my cervix increased to 3.4cm! I am officially off of bedrest but of course with modified activities (no exercise, no lifting DS etc.) and need to keep my feet up when I can. So it is possible to get off of bed rest but it totally depends on your situation. I go back to the MFM every 2 weeks for meaasurements. Good luck!
  • Options

I had my cerclage at 17 weeks and am now 24 weeks. I have been on modified bedrest since then but during my bi-weekly checkups my CL has been increasing steadily. I have not been prescribed any medications. At 22 weeks I was up to 4cm. I went down to 3.8cm this last visit, but the doctors are happy with my progress. I have been increasing my activity each week a little bit more. I am going to go back to work slowly starting with once a week. I have a sit down job so I am not too worried about it. If I continue to have good CL then I will increase my days at work. Right now I am terrified of not having time at home after the baby comes.

My doctors are also planning on giving me steroid shots at 26 weeks so the baby's lungs develop faster just in case of preterm delivery.

It looks like all of us are all in similar cases so I would love to hear updates on your progress! Prayers to you all!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"