VBAC

Has anyone had a vbac after 2 csections?

Hi there. 

A little background info:  My first child was a footling breech who really never moved from 30+ weeks forward.  He kicked and squirmed but never turned.  I went into labor at 38 weeks and went in for csection as "planned".   We conceived our second child when first was only 9 months old.  Because of the brief recovery time and my fear of complications (rupture) we "elected" to have a repeat csection.  Baby girl was born at 39 weeks by planned section. 

So now here we are 4+ years later and we are expecting number 3.  My son is 5 1/2 and daughter is 4 years old, so there has been plenty of recovery time this time around. 

My question is, have any of you, or has anyone you know, had a successful vbac after 2 or more c sections?  I am experiancing a bit of anxiety over this as you probably all can relate to.  I go in to meet my OB on Wed for my 12 week appoinment and plan to discuss with her then. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Has anyone had a vbac after 2 csections?

• Not personally though if I have any more kids, I'll plan a VBA2C.  I had a c-s, vbac and then another c-s. 

Statistically speaking, your risk of rupture doesn't really go up in a VBA2C vs a VBA1C.  The latest study by Dr Landon which looked  at 18,000 VBAC attempts showed that the risk of uterine rupture (UR) is about 0.7% for a VBA1C and 0.9% for a VBAC after multiple (2, 3 or 4) c-sections.  The study was large enough to declare it a statistically insignificant difference.  It's important to realize that the study included labors that were induced or used pitocin augmentation was well as women with scars other than the typical low transverse (classical/vertical, inverted T, etc).

So if you have a low transverse incision on your uterus, you've waited more than 2 years, you avoid induction or augmentation of your labor with pitocin, your risk is probably less than 0.9%.  When Landon looked at all VBAC labors (didn't matter how many prior c-sections), he found that the risk of UR dropped to 0.4% when they occurred during a completely spontaneous labor.  

ACOG now suggests that women with 2 c-section still be considered for VBACs:  https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/725597

R & R: est 2003 LOs: 4/2005, 10/2007, 2/2011 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If that link makes you register/login, just do a good search for ACOG recommendations for VBAC.  It should be the first one that pops up!
    R & R: est 2003 LOs: 4/2005, 10/2007, 2/2011 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My MIL had a VBAC after two c-sections. She had her first c-section after being in labor for 36 hours. Her doctor told her the baby was too big and that she needed to have c-sections from that point on. She got pregnant seven months later, ended up going into labor a week before her scheduled c-section, was sectioned anyway, and delivered a baby a full two pounds smaller than her first. 

She found a new doctor that allowed her to attempt a vbac and had her last two kids vaginally. 

It's  a lot harder to find a doctor who's willing to take you on if you've had two, but not impossible. Good luck! 

• I had a VBA2C in October.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My OB would not let me try to VBAC after 2c's because she said the reason for my original c-section was anatomy based, my pelvis is mishapen.  She said i would still not be able to deliver vaginally. 

She did tell me that if my first had been due to a breech baby or something like that and my second was because of the closeness of the previous pregnancy that with this one 5 years later I could have tried to VBAC. 

Sounds like if you talk to your OB you should be a good candidate for a VBA2C.

Good Luck!!!  I hope they let you do it:)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"