Natural Birth
Options

Natural birth with cronic pain?

I have Fibromyalgia. Before I got pregnant I was not able to get though the day without a significant amount of prescription medication. However, now that I am pregnant I am enjoying that one of the side effects is that pain meds are not needed. Every now and then I take a muscle relaxer but even that is rare.. So I have stated thinking about having a natural non medicated delivery. Something that before I would have thought imposable for myself. But am I crazy and delusional to be thinking it an option? Is a natural birth something that I should make as a goal or is it really just unrealistic?

All opinions are welcome and helpful, thanks for your time! 

Re: Natural birth with cronic pain?

• Options

Obviously, it's up to you, but I would say that your experience with pain makes you a good person to try for a natural birth. Birth pain is different (it comes and goes, it builds in intensity, it has a definite end the moment the baby is born), but coping methods are similar. Anything you know from daily life will help you at your birth, and anything you learn to cope with birth will help you with daily life.

Start by reading a few books (there's a list in the FAQ in my siggy) and then see how you feel. I'm also actually a fan of making some decisions in labour - I know a lot of women are all about the "no options! I WILL DO IT WITHOUT DRUGS!", but I went in knowing there was an out if I needed it. I didn't.

• Options
    I don't see why you couldn't, especially if your symptoms are mostly in remission right now. Also, I would imagine that the birth itself will be distracting/intense enough that you won't be thinking much about other discomforts.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Anything is possible! I don't know how familiar you are with the way that chronic pain impacts the brain, but I was blown away when I spoke to a chronic pain counselor about it. In the simplest way, the brain gets so used to being in pain that it can keep us in panic/pain mode. (Not to say the source of the pain isn't real, it is just that our bodies can do wacky thing to amplify the pain.) It made me so mad when I first heard it, I though the guy was saying I was faking it, but now I get it. Have you ever tried biofeedack to manage your pain? That is what made me a believer in seeing how my brain could lessen my pain. The skills of biofeedback--deep rythmic breathing and relaxation through pain--is very similar to what the Bradley  of birthing teaches. Another option you might like (and that also may benefit pain management throughout life) are the hypno options--Hypnobirthing or Hypnobabies.

So, I say dream big, make plans to do a class, and then hope that this will benefit you both for birth and life after.

• Options

I am attempting natural birth and have chronic pain like you.  I have intercitial cystitis, basically inflammation of the bladder.  I have a more severe case and am not allowed to take my meds during pregnancy and if I want to breast feed.  I am happy for you that your symptoms have cleared.  Due to I.C. I am at a higher risk of developing fibro during pregnancy due to the hormone fluctuations.  Luckily I haven't and fingers crossed  I won't.

I was scared that a vaginal delivery would up my chances of having a bladder procedure done afterwards.  I didn't want that so requested an elective c-section.  I have since changed my mind due to the catheter issue.  This is why I also chose to have a natural birth, because you have to have a catheter with an epi.  Also, I wanted to be in control of pushing because I think this will help my bladder as well.  I am already having horrible bladder spasms and am hoping once he is out I will be better and can pump. 

Anyways I believe that if you can get through life in constant pain like we both experience then you should be able to deal with pain for no more than 24 hours.  I would read as much on natural birth as possible.  I have read several books and have decided hypnobirthing is for me.  After all I deal with pain silently everyday so how can labor be any different.    

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"