Attachment Parenting
Options

Hep B vaccine

Anybody know anything about the Hepatitis B vaccine? 

I'm filling out my birth plan for LO2 and in the medications section it asks if I would like to waive the administration of the Hepatitis B vaccine.

I don't know anything about it.  What can you guys tell me?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hep B vaccine

• Options

::putting on my flame proof suit::

We skipped the Hep B vaccine. Hep B is generally caused by sharing needles and having unprotected sex with infected people. It's a vaccine for an adult, but it's hard to vaccinate the adult population, so they vax newborns and give boosters at well visits.

My birth center didn't even have the option of giving it to newborns. The doctor over the birth center said there was no medical need to give it at a few hours/days old. I mean think about it, you and your baby have just met each other and need to get to know each other. If your baby is given the Hep B vax, if they were to have a reaction to it, you wouldn't know if they were acting differently, crying from the reaction, etc.

If one wanted to give it, it could be given at the 2 month check up, and boostered at the appropriate times after that.

I will say like everyone else would, you really need to do your own research and come to your own conclusions ::steps of soapbox::

• Options

Not telling you what to do, just sharing our experience. We skipped it, but we do need in New York state for Pre- Kindergarten and it turns out we needed it as well for pre-school in France (where we just moved for the year), so we started the series in the fall. It's a 3-shot series. Because of scheduling issues, we were only able to get two shots before we left and will do the 3rd shot here. If you skip it, just keep in mind that it's a series and that the shots have to be administered at certain intervals, so give yourself enough time to "catch up" if you'll need them for school.

We did NOT need Hep B for pre-school in New York state. Had we not moved to France, I would have the series later this year, in advance of Pre-Kindergarten.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

While I am a total believer in vaccines and staying on the schedule...I do believe waiting to vaccinate your child with the first hep b is a great idea for the first visit to the MD, and skip at the hospital.

The reason we skipped after her birth was because I knew she was getting poked and prodded at enough.

Reaction risk to hepatitis b is so rare its not even mentioned.  Reaction risk to all vaccines is rare but even more so for hepatits b.

Good luck with your birth.  Try not to plan out all the details, just know what you really want and dont want and tell your partner and doula (if you have one) so they are on board!

• Options

Oh but I should add that you should know your status of hep b protection.  Are you vaccinated?  Do you know if your titers show that you have immunity.  Hep B infection in the mother can be passed onto the baby.  Symptoms for hep b can not rear their ugly head for up to and over 6 months past time of exposure/infection.  So if you dont know if you have immunity, I would talk to your provider!

Always something to discuss with your OB/Midwife!

Good luck!

• Options
    imagedanztam:

Oh but I should add that you should know your status of hep b protection.  Are you vaccinated?  Do you know if your titers show that you have immunity.  Hep B infection in the mother can be passed onto the baby.  Symptoms for hep b can not rear their ugly head for up to and over 6 months past time of exposure/infection.  So if you dont know if you have immunity, I would talk to your provider!

Always something to discuss with your OB/Midwife!

Good luck!

This. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

In my province in Canada, Hep B is done as a series in elementary school. I don't think it's irresponsible to delay that one, as the odds of an infant being exposed (if you know you don't have it) are very, very slim.

I do think it's important to get it done, eventually, though. If you choose to go "off schedule" it's up to you as a parent to make sure you remember to get your kid caught up.

• Options
    I am a HUGE believer in sticking to the vax schedule but giving it at birth seems silly to me.  My pedi's office even reccommends that you wait until 2 months to give it as long as mom tested negative.  That's what we did last time and that's what we're planning to do this time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm from Canada, my older kids all got the Hep B vax in grade 7. When I moved to the US and had my daughter here I delayed the Hep B at the Hospital. When we went in for her 2mos vax, I asked the Doctor to delay it and gave her my reason and she agreed that since my daughter would not be exposed to it that it could be delayed till much later. She said the only reason they start it so soon here is because they do have a hard time getting older kids/teens/adults to get their vaccines.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options

We skipped it. I recommend doing research and coming up with your own decision.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"