Postpartum Depression

PPD timeframe?

I'm looking for any advice/info about PPD vs baby blues? I'm 2 1/2 weeks postpartum and while the days I get some sleep I definitely feel better, the days I don't I feel like I'm drowning. I know a lot of it is hormones, I just wondered if anyone else's doc had given them a timeframe of when they should call the office and think about getting some help? I have a 6 week pp visit but I don't know if I should wait that long. DH goes back to work next week for 3 days and I am so anxious about being left by myself with LO for a whole day, let alone 3 in a row and worrying that if I'm tired I'm going to get completely overwhelmed. TIA for any advice.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PPD timeframe?

• Oh my goodness, this was me word for word about 6 months ago! I was told that the first 5-6 weeks can be baby blues, but it is really not an easy thing. No one prepared me for how bad it was, and as you know, it can be so, so bad. 

My DH called because he was so worried about me, but was told that we would discuss it at my 6 week PP checkup, because until then it is hormonal and they really could not do much anyway. For me, it DID subside. Those first couple weeks were the absolute worst- I don't think my eyes were dry for more than 30 minutes at any time.

My doctor DID say that even if it hasn't been 6 weeks, and you feel progressively worse, or have any really scary thoughts, then to call immediately.  

See how it goes, and at 6 weeks, I would definitely ask for some help if it is not better. Also, I can almost guarantee that being alone with LO will NOT be as bad and scary as you think.  I was a wreck- I begged DH not to go to work, and seriously sobbed the entire night before he went back. But, we were just fine, and I am sure that you will be too. It can be so scary, especially with your hormones torturing you (that is how I felt, that they were torturing me!), but you really will be able to handle it. And, like my doctor said, if the Baby Blues get worse instead of better, call ASAP. And if you still feel the same at the 6 week check, then definitely tell your doctor, and he or she will be able to help. Hope that helps a little, and don't worry about your day alone- you'll be great! 

• Thank you so much for your response. I wondered if with the hormones they would even consider doing anything at this point - no one has even asked me about PPD and we've had the home visit nurse several times for DS's jaundice. It does seem to be getting a little better some days - I'm trying to make a point to get out of the house and that definitely helps. 6 weeks seems like a long time to wait to get checked on but I suppose they have their reasons. 

Thanks for the reassurance about being alone w/ LO - I know logically everything will be fine but its hard to feel like that when I've relied so heavily on DH since the birth. I couldn't even get out of bed to pick up DS for 2 days by myself after he arrived so it seems like a fast transition to being alone. I agree about the hormones torturing us, they seriously make you think and feel some crazy things. For no reason at all I just start crying and thinking about Dh going back to work just sets me off. Its crazy. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow, I cannot believe the home visit nurse did not ask you about how you were feeling emotionally! I had one come too (my DD had jaundice as well- we have so many similarities!) and she asked me about how I was feeling, and gave me all kinds of info. I did have a mini-breakdown with her, and she explained the hormonal stuff, but that if I felt worse instead of better to call my doctor. I think that stinks that the nurse did not even ask you!

Getting out of the house really does help.  Even now, almost 7 months out, I make sure I plan as many outings as possible or I feel more overwhelmed.

And I do know what you mean about DH's help.  It is a big change, and it isn't easy. I was so bad that I would grab DH's arm and just sob for him not to leave us. And I am going to be honest- it is still better when he is here instead of work, but DD and I do okay by ourselves. 

There are a lot of days that go by really fast, and before I know it he is home. And sure, there are those days that drag, when DD is particularly fussy, or teething, or whatever, that I long for him to get home asap. But, on those days, you just kind of have to think to yourself "DH will be home in X hours, we will be okay until then".  

And 6 weeks does seem like an eternity when you aren't doing well. But I promise you, it flies by with your new LO occupying your time. You will be in shock when you realize he is 6 weeks old already. But if it is sooner, and you are still suffering, call for sure. You want to be able to enjoy your time with DS, and I don;t think any doctor would begrudge you calling if you are suffering. 

I'll be sending good thoughts your way- but I have a feeling you'll do great :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"