Special Needs

Auntie and other IEP experts (ASD related)

Our DS's IEP is expiring in March when he turns 4. Last year, we thought our first IEP meeting was going to be collaborative, but the draft was already written in advance, and nothing ultimately changed (save a small increase in the proposed OT minutes).

So this year we want to send along some input ahead of time in the form of needs, or even IEP goals. I am reading through IEP goal banks to familiarize myself with good goal language.

One thing that is complicated is that DS has been dx'd with selective mutism as well as autism. He is under a psychologist's care for the selective mutism, only recently. But as a part of that, he demonstrates less of everything at school -- positive or negative. Some of his biggest issues at home, which will surely bleed into school at some point, are rigidity and temper. He slammed a door so hard last night he broke a hole in it. If he can do this at age 3 and 30 lbs, what can he do down the road when he's pissed off?

I think we could use a lot of help with this, but he's generally pretty passive at school. If things don't go his way, he just withdraws, so they never get the opportunity to help him develop better coping skills.

I know this isn't EI and that their job is not to treat his whole life, just his education. However, if it's at all appropriate I'd love to get their help because he's been responding pretty well to them on other things. Is it too early to discuss sabotage, so they can get a rise and then help him develop better coping strategies?

Also, I see IEP goals in the banks under toileting. Again, would this be appropriate? I fear this will become a social obstacle soon after the last of the other peers are long potty trained. And he does cooperate more at school. I can only occasionally get him to sit on the potty if I give him M&Ms for the effort, but he's never actually peed. Not once.

And while this question is probably impossible to answer without knowing DS, can anyone comment on whether these services seem about right for a 3 - 4 year old with autism? He is verbal and bright, but struggles mightily with social and emotional issues, as well as SPD and selective mutism. He gets 60 minutes per week of each of these: OT, SLP, and specialized instruction for social/emotional. He is mainstreamed, going 5 days a week from about 8 - 3pm. His OT is a miracle worker -- she gets him to eat stuff at school that he won't touch at home. I'd love to get more of her services, but not sure whether it's justified.

Also, he just started ABA in the home, we are starting at 4 hours/week.

Finally, if anyone has thoughts on dysfluency, please weigh in. There is a battle going between us and our ILs (FIL still goes to ST once a month for stuttering/dysfluency). His SLP has stuck her nose in and insists that "dysfluency can be 'cured' if we intervene strongly before age 5." She's never met DS. But ILs are all in a huff that we won't even go see her, because we are throwing away an opportunity to solve something that has plagued FIL his whole life. Personally, I think she's an idiot because she told him "she's not worried about the social stuff, which will get better on it's own with time..."

However, I don't want to leave any stones unturned. All of his current professionals feel that indirect therapy is the way to go on the dysfluency at the moment, without any direct attention to it. Given his selective mutism, etc. But if anyone here has experience, I'd love to hear your take on treatment protocols for dysfluency in preschool. It is between word, not mid-word. So he'll repeat a word or phrase quite a bit before moving on. 

Damn, that got long. Sorry. Any thoughts welcome, I really appreciate it. Thank you. 

~formerly Bride2bMO~
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Zeus and Bubba

Re: Auntie and other IEP experts (ASD related)

• I should mention, when thinking about sabotage, that he is very anxious about school He cries, begs and negotiates every single morning, without fail. He doesn't want to go. Now, once he's there, we're told he recovers within 5 minutes. But getting him there is a hell of a struggle.

So while he needs what he needs, I do need to consider whether sabotage strategies would increase the anxiety. 

~formerly Bride2bMO~

Zeus and Bubba
  • I realized I was misspelling "dysfluency" in my post. Tried to edit, but I don't see my corrections. Hmm.
    ~formerly Bride2bMO~

Zeus and Bubba
  • Loading the player...
  • Auntie, this is incredibly helpful. You are often the one saying the tough things I need to hear most. ;) I agree that the behavior issues at home may stem from the less structured environment. We keep trying to move in a more structured direction. It's very at odds with my personality and parenting style. I know he needs something different, and it's why I agreed to let him start going to school 5 days a week even though I SAH. It's so good for him. He still begs to stay home, but he does better.

The psychologist is putting together CBT plan for the anxiety and came to meeting with all players last week to discuss. All were polite, but I sense slight annoyance, especially from one of his classroom teachers. Sometimes I don't think she thinks anything is wrong.

Good point on potty training. Not everything has to be an official goal, doesn't mean we can't have a strategy discussion with teachers. And the ABA team could be good. They are working on play skills, which is odd to me because I'm not sure the skills he develops with them at home will transfer to play with kids. He likes adults much better than kids.

As for the SLP stuff, good idea to get another opinion independent of school or FIL's SLP. I find her comments unprofessional, but I shouldn't disregard the core of her opinion. But no way we'd work with her. Too close to ILs for comfort and she doesn't strike me as discreet.

As always, thank you. I really hope to someday be as helpful to other ASD parents as you.
    ~formerly Bride2bMO~

Zeus and Bubba
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"