Maryland Babies
Options

Is this crazy...

DH got accepted to a prestigious intensive training program at Disney.  YAY!  It will be for a week in July.  All of his stuff is paid for including the hotel room and 1 complimentary 5 day park-hopper pass  Here comes the crazy- he wants me, Evie and the new baby to go with him.  If I have the baby on my due date he will be 9 weeks old!

I cannot imagine taking a 20 hour car ride with a 2 year old but I would be very hesitant to take a 9 week old on a plane...  Not to mention the fact that we are a family of "gingers" and tend to avoid the lower latitudes during the summer. 

Would you take a 2 year old and a 9 week old to Disney in July if the trip was basically free?  All we'd have to day for would be Evie's Disney tickets since mine would be comped and the baby would be free.  My MIL has offered to go with us to help me during the day, since DH will be in training.

DH is totally gung-ho, but I am scared! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Is this crazy...

• Options

My first thought is to run away screaming but I am not so adventurous when it comes to traveling with young children. It would be tempting because of the free aspect....

However, Central FL in July......just something to think about. Say if you wanted to walk around the park and have the baby in a carrier in 90 degree humidity...might not be so enjoyable.

Man, I don't know! that is a tough one. I am officially no help.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Central Florida in mid-summer sucks enough, add in a toddler and a newborn NO THANKS!  I'll pass.  You're DH is BSC and is not remembering newborn-ness at all - let alone newbornness outside in the heat w/ a toddler.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd probably sadly pass. I remember we were so excited to go to the Great Grapes wine festival this summer and bailed because it was a warm (not even hot) day and we just weren't up for it with a newborn. I know for sure we wouldn't be up for a week in Disney. It's unfortunate timing but if I were you I'd send him on his way and save up for the Disney trip when all four of you can enjoy it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Someone's getting a little brother!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a firm believer in taking LO out and about and heaven knows I took Anderson all over the place when he was that young but I don't think I would go.  Free is hard to pass up but there really is much shade at Magic Kingdom where you could sit with your newborn.  I would probably end up being very miserable in the humidity of Florida.  I wouldn't go.
  • Options

Okay, you are all saying exactly what I was thinking/feeling. 

DH didn't get to spend much time with DD when she was little because he burned through most of his paternity leave while we were still in the NICU.  I know he thinks this would be a chance for some great bonding experience.  But the truth is he has NO idea how much work would be involved.

I feel so torn.  DH is playing up the free aspect to pander to the cheap-skate in me.  I wouldn't try to take the kids to Magic Kingdom all day every day.   Epcot has a lot of indoor stuff though, right?

We'd be staying on the Disney Property.  Are there other thins to do that don't involve going into the park?  His hotel room would be on the property that is like the Coney Island Boardwalk.  https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/board-walk-inn/

• Options

It's been awhile since I've been to Disney but from what I can remember the most age appropriate places are Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and some sort of water place like Typhoon Lagoon.  I found Epcot a little boring.  

When I was there we didn't do any non-park related stuff.

• Options

We went to Disney for 2 nights last year when DD was just shy of 2 - and walking and didn't need naps constantly, etc.  We went to Matic Kingdom and Epcot for one night.  I don't remember there being alot of stuff @ Epcot that's little kid appropriate that's indoor - lots of shops, restaurants, etc. and remember there are lines EVERYWHERE for everything - in the florida sun. 

I dont' think this will end up to QT for your husband and your LOs.  If he's REALLY set on it, fly down for a long weekend before or after his conference and then you can all 4 enjoy the park.

Also - if your Mom/MIL came - woudln't you end up having to pay for her anyway?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Kathryn- Your points are exactly my concern, I just want to make sure I have all my thoughts/ arguments in order, because I know what DH is going to say.

My understanding was that MIL would pay her own way. 

• Options

I am not sure how I would feel about taking a 9-week old to Disney, but with help I think it could be done. We were just there in October and I saw lots of moms/dads wearing their infants riding the slower rides, like Dumbo. I am not sure you would want to wear your LO for long periods of time in July though. We didn't stay at a Disney property, so I am not sure about them providing cribs, etc., but I can't see them not providing these. Having your MIL there would help, and I agree with Kathryn, maybe just make it a weeknd trip.

If you do go, Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios are the best and Epocot and Animal Kingdom are definately half-day trips, in my opinion. Oh, and Evie is also free if she is 2 at the time you travel (kids 2 and under are free).

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemdmommy07:

Oh, and Evie is also free if she is 2 at the time you travel (kids 2 and under are free).

Good to know!  For some reason I thought you had to be under 2 to be free.

I am not sure about baby wearing.  I never tried it with Evie, but I do want to give it a try this time around. 

• Options

Didn't read previous replies but if your MIL would go then def. yes esp b/c Evie's tickets are free (under 3 is free for park tickets and for meals :)  It is hot, but we went in August and had a blast.  (I have strawberry-blonde hair and am fair skinned too and didn't get burned).  We would go in the morning early, come back to the hotel for lunch and nap and then go back out in the late afternoon/evening.  Plus, you can swim at the pool, etc.  And I wouldn't worry about taking your 9 week old on the plane.  I flew w/M when he was 8 weeks old w/o a problem, plus you would be flying during the summer and not the winter.

ETA: The only thing that I would be concerned about would the baby getting too hot.  You could leave your newborn w/your MIL @the hotel, just go first thing in the morning and in the late afternoon/evening.  I wore Matthew in August if you got too tired and we were fine.  They sell overpriced fans, which we purchased and thoroughly enjoyed. I also would only purchase a mineral sunblock and make sure it is not a chemical one as sunscreen is not recommended before 6 months, but if you have to use it beforehand only mineral ones are considered "okay."

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"