February 2012 Moms

Question re: Dilation

I went for my 39 week appointment and had an internal exam. She said that from the opening I am 4 cm dilated but on the inside I am more like 1-2 cm. What does that mean? Anyone else told something similar?

I had a membrane sweep done and she said that she didn't think it would be too long before the baby arrives. My first daughter was born 4 days after her due date so fingers crossed this baby is the same if not quicker! 

Pregnancy Ticker NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question re: Dilation

• I'm just going to speculate, because I never had it happen, but did she say how effaced you were?  If your cervix is still thick, could it be opening in more of a cone shape than just a circle?  I have seen other women reference the different dilations at the same time, not sure which board, but it might not be too uncommon.
  • It's the difference between the bottom of your cervix (closest to the outside) and the top (closest to baby). The whole cervix doesn't dilate at the same rate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Is it bad that I'm a woman, but I still googled a diagram of the cervix so I could see what pp-er meant? lol oh and this is baby #3 - Learned my new thing for the day!
  • I'd never heard of a difference between this (my second) either.  My doc explained that it's the upper (smaller) measurement that matters.
  • I'm 36 weeks today and was in the hospital last night for contractions and I have the same thing. The front is dilated to a 3 and the back (by baby's head) is still a 1 and 50% effaced. Dr says it doesn't mean anything until the back gives way.
  • Dr also says he sees it happen a lot in 2nd 3rd 4th etc pregnancies
  • I'm not sure why they even mentioned it. The inner os is the one they go by. So you're 1-2.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Missed MC 11/17/10 Our little miracle born 1/27/12 Natural MC 7/19/12 Missed MC 1/22/13 Our family is complete DD 12/27/13
    Abnormal ANA, PAI-1 4G/4G homozygous

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"