Michigan Babies

Insurance

So, does anyone have experience with negotioating a "package price" for prenatal and birth with their Dr? We have switched insurance on Jan 1st and I am now 32 weeks. Has anyone paid all out of pocket with no insurance? How much did you spend on the whole enchilada? Birth, prenatal, hospital, Dr., pain relief etc? thanks!

Re: Insurance

• I have insurance, but I think my bill was something like $10,000 for delivery, after care and hospital stay when I gave birth 2 years ago.  (Thankfully I only had to pay $225 out of pocket.)  I don't know if prenatal care was included in those costs. 

I had a normal, fairly easy vaginal birth and my stay was from Wednesday night to Saturday night (had the baby Thursday night.)

C-sections, complications, etc, make the final bill skyrocket.

• I have insurance, and out of pocket we probably spend around $800 total from beginning to end.  My insurance does not cover education classes (which is dumb) like child birth classes or breast feeding classes, so we had to pay for that out of pocket.  I had a normal vag birth with an epidural, and our bill to insurance was close to $10,000 like pp for both me and baby.  You will probably get billed for the most ridiculous things, for instance, the little bassinet your baby will sleep in you will get charged $300 a NIGHT for 'renting'.  And if they give you Mortin or a stool softener, they'll charge a $300 pharmacy fee for.  It's insane.  The hospital and Dr. charges are seperate, so I'm not sure you'll be able to get a "package deal" for regular visits and labor and delivery- they're seperate businesses.  And there are SO many factors to how much of a bill you will rack up too.  Complications, c-section, baby in NICU, epidural, additional meds, etc. 

I would call your insurance and ask them about how much it costs for labor and delivery.  They should be able to give you a decent estimate, and how much of it you will have to pay out of pocket.

ETA:  I delivered at Spectrum Downtown and had a Spectrum OB/GYN doctor.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagechrisandmonique4ever:
    thank you ladies for taking the time to respond with such detailed answers! I really appreciate it!

No prob.  If you're interested in more chat, the GR Nest board is pretty active with a lot of moms, however most have toddlers right how.  I'm one of few on there with an infant.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"