Special Needs

Need opinion-child cannot use parks & rec swim

i need some opinions into this issue.   we have an indoor water "park" through our local parks and rec.  on the website it states that children under the age of 2 are not permitted and those over age 2 must be potty trained-no swim diapers allowed.  i searched the website and there's nothing regarding special needs children.  so i emailed parks & rec asking if they had special swims or anything of the sort.  their response was that children are not permitted to wear swim diapers because of bacteria.  she said that the only thing available for him is a swim class at a special needs school that's offered thru parks & rec.  while i totally understand where they are coming from with the swim diapers i'm pretty shocked that they don't have a special time that children/adults with special needs, or even smaller children at that, could take part in the water park (even if it was one day a month before they did pool maintenance or something).  i would also expect this if it were a private pool but considering it's through the state that's what makes me a little confused.

obviously i realize that many things aren't fair and that's just the way it's going to be but at the same time i do not feel like her response was sufficient.  my son can't partake in a swim class so that is pointless. plus it's a $60 class as opposed to taking him to a water area that costs $4.

i just need another special needs parent's opinion.

thnx! 

Re: Need opinion-child cannot use parks & rec swim

• Personally I don't know many kids that are 2 that are potty trained so I think that "rule" in and of itself is a little restrictive.

I am also not surprised that there are no offerings for special needs people. I am finding that most places don't have offerings for anything. It is almost like they have never even thought of the disabled population. It could also be that they do not have people qualified to handle SN people (would depend on the special need I suppose).

The response you received left a lot to be desired I am not surprised by it. Did you suggest creating a time for the special needs population?

• I'm so sorry that you had to experience that. I find these little (and big) reminders of un-acceptance really jarring sometimes.

Honestly, I'm confused about the issue. I've never heard of a pool not including a child/adult who is incontinent. Could you ask to speak to the center's director or someone higher up in the parks and rec center? Tons of public pools allow babies to come. Maybe you inquire about the difference between their set up and a mommy and me class that they offer in the parks and rec program and ask if there's a reason for the difference in policy. It might also be worth pointing out (gently) that a class at the special ed school is not the same experience for your son as a water park with other typically developing children running around. Also if your son isn't able to go into the pool bc of respiratory issues, I'd share that with them. Not in a "you have to fix my issue" kind of tone, but to let them know why its so important and give them a new perspective. I generally find that people genuinely appreciate understanding a way that they could do something to help DD and her peers out. And really. Especially if you're willing to go the last day before they shock the water... I don't get it. 

DD2 had her trach through the summer and all DD1 wanted to do was going swimming with her sister. I asked the pulmonologist at one point about whether it was okay to go to the sprinkle section of the water park and got his clearance (we capped her trach) and splashed water on her arms and legs and held her hands to help her walk through the 1/2" high water feeling the splash of her steps. It was the highlight of our summer to go there and have fun as a family. DH and I both agreed that it was like "vacation" that we got to make those family memories. This is a valid issue for you to be bothered by. ... As a point of reference, kids of all ages and abilities are allowed at our park, so long as they are accompanied by an adult and don't wear floaties (for safety reasons). I'd be happy to message you the website for ours as a point of reference. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it's an odd "rule" no matter what the circumstances are but I think that in your case specifically, and I'm sure there are other people in your community effected as well, this explanation I found on the ADA website would apply......

Q. Does the ADA apply to State and local governments?

A.
    Title II of the ADA prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals with disabilities in all programs, activities, and services of public entities. It applies to all State and local governments, their departments and agencies, and any other instrumentalities or special purpose districts of State or local governments

Seems to me that a public pool run by Parks and Rec would qualify as a service.

• Also:  I bet every mom of a 2 year old is lying that their kid is PT'ed, and is just putting a swim diaper on.  Better to have a 2 in a swim diaper, then to chance a mostly PT'ed kid, who gets excited in the pool and poops!

DS trained at 2.75, and for at least a whole year after that he still wore a swim diaper bc I did *not* want to be that mom whose kid closed the pool down, lol.

This is something I would totally fight.   It is a commonly (as in.... I have NEVER heard of a pool say no swim diapers) practice to have small children wear them.  Now, if they want to get specific and require plastic pants, vs huggies, fine.  But come on!

• I'm sorry. I'm biased, but sure, I think they could be more progressive about it. On a sort of related random note, DS wants his birthday party at the train museum. Which is run by the county parks dept. And they won't allow us to bring outside food, but ONLY serve hotdogs and popcorn. And their birthday party age range is only 1 - 5 years anyway, so special needs aside, who serves hotdogs and popcorn to kids under 3 anyway...

But I found it ironic that they wouldn't let me bring in some alternative food for DS because, well, a freaking TRAIN museum ought to have a bit of experience with individuals with ASD. Just sayin. 

~formerly Bride2bMO~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Zeus and Bubba
  • thanks everyone, i just wanted to make sure that i wasn't overreacting.  our daycare director suggested i contact a local special needs organization that does a lot of lobbying and such.  i sent them a long email so we'll see what they think!
  • I think that's pretty crappy especially for a state run program.  But if you want to do swim with X, I'd look around.  There are swim programs for babies out there - so clearly they are in diapers.  I took Izzy to a "mommy and me" type swim class at NYSC and they offer similar classes at some other private pools in the area. 
  • image-auntie-:
    imageVanessa Doofenshmirtz:

But I found it ironic that they wouldn't let me bring in some alternative food for DS because, well, a freaking TRAIN museum ought to have a bit of experience with individuals with ASD. Just sayin. 

Train museums tend to be run by Aspergers for Aspergers. This is not a group the is predisposed to changes in the rules. They probably have more experience with ASDs since they've been living with one longer than you. Just sayin'.

And no, I'm not kidding. I refer to DS's monthly NRHT meetings as "Asperger Support Meetings". His local trust is a less rigid group but does have a few fellow travelers.

This made me laugh so hard I almost spit out my coffee.  Ah, fellow travelers. 

• image-auntie-:
    imageVanessa Doofenshmirtz:

Train museums tend to be run by Aspergers for Aspergers. This is not a group the is predisposed to changes in the rules. They probably have more experience with ASDs since they've been living with one longer than you. Just sayin'.

And no, I'm not kidding. I refer to DS's monthly NRHT meetings as "Asperger Support Meetings". His local trust is a less rigid group but does have a few fellow travelers.

You know, I hadn't thought of it being run by someone with it. Excellent point! I just figured their customers on the spectrum were plentiful. I guess it irked me that I actually can bring in a cake (outside food) but not a fruit, cracker and cheese tray. So we are having it at home. I was nice about it to the lady, I promise!
    ~formerly Bride2bMO~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Zeus and Bubba
  • Our public pool here in L.A. Has the same rule. It is also run by parks and rec. No kids in swim diapers, which means pretty much o kids under two allowed. Unpopular opinion....I kinda like it.
  • If they are worried about bacteria then you would think that they would allow cloth swim diapers. The pool where Landon has aqua therapy (it's also a swim school) will not allow disposable diapers because of the chemicals in them but they request that children who are not potty trained where cloth swim diapers (. I would buy a cloth swim diaper put it on under a regular swimsuit and they will never know the difference. I like the iplay brand. I buy them from amazon
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"