Single Parents

Has anyone ever heard of this?

The other day my son's father sent me a text message asking for my son's SSN because he needed it for an apartment he is applying for. I of course told him NO. Im thinking he wants it so he can try and claim him on taxes and try to be sneaky about it. He doesnt pay child support and never gets him anything he needs. So he has no reason to even try and claim him. But anyways he tries to tell me that they need it for when he visits. (are they going to get everyones SSN that comes to visit) yea don't think so. He then tells me its so my son's name can go on the lease. (my son is a JR so they have the same name) I don't want him ruining my son's credit before he's 2! I told him that my sons name is not and will not be going on the lease. I've never heard anything like that before where an apartment complex wants your childs SSN for when they visit. I don't think they should be allowed to do it. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Has anyone ever heard of this?

• I'd say your hunch is right and your ex wants your DS's SSN to claim him on your taxes...it's tax season.  I'd say there's absolutely no way your ex needs your DS's SSN for his apartment lease.  I wouldn't give it to him.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't give it to him.

To check LO credit : https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/helpfaq#reqchild

very easy and painless.  And totally worth the peace of mind.  I just sent away for my DS yesterday as I'm afraid xh is maybe using DS information.  Heaven knows he can't get a credit line with his credit!

• Loading the player...
  • the only reason i can see that he'd need LO's social security number for an apartment is because he wants to put him on the lease so that he can get more bedrooms (they more than likely wouldn't give a 2-3 bedroom apt if there's only one name on the lease). So it could be on the up & up. They wouldn't need it if he were just "visiting" though. But, because it's tax season, I'd be cautious about handing out my son's SS #. Sounds like he might be trying to file behind your back.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thank you ladies. That's what I was thinking. I just thought it was kind of odd and I wanted another moms thoughts! He will not be getting his SSN anytime soon. Thanks!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My co-worker rents houses and she told me that she only needs their names and ages.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"