Adoption
Options

BLERG!

I have been waiting allll month to get our homestudy started! There was a mixup between the adoption agency and the agency doing our homestudy that took srsly a week and a half to figure out. Now we've been waiting for our homestudy packet to come for a week.

Is it really this hard to even get started? I was excited about working with our homestudy agency bc some friends of ours who are adopting from China had good things to say about them, but now I'm worried. Sad 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
Application approved Dec '11
Mar '12: Homestudy interrupted by change in Uganda requirements - where do we go from here?
After searching and searching, back with Uganda but with our homestudy agency's program.
Homestudy complete July 19
USCIS I-600A submitted July 20. Biometrics appointments arrived Aug 17; fingerprinted Aug 21; 171H received Sept 25th. On the wait list Oct 1st: #18. By Jan 25th, we're #13!
Come home, baby A!

Re: BLERG!

• Options
    That is really frustrating. Can you give them a quick phone call and just let them know you haven't received it?
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Sometimes it seems like forever. But this is the time to be an advocate for yourself and start making phone calls. That's typically what you have to do...

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I spose I'll have to if we don't get it in the mail today. DH works a lot and we'll be needing to take time with completing the home study requirements. We really wanted to be done with the hs in May. I'm probably more worked up because I'm not positive how long it will take. Calling them feels kind of awkward bc I a little bit hounded them in order to get the mix-up taken care of.

It's funny, until we started this process, I wasn't really aware of my people-pleasing tendencies. I shouldn't feel bad about asking someone to do the job we will be paying them to do. But I do feel a little bit bad... merr. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
    Application approved Dec '11
    Mar '12: Homestudy interrupted by change in Uganda requirements - where do we go from here?
    After searching and searching, back with Uganda but with our homestudy agency's program.
    Homestudy complete July 19
    USCIS I-600A submitted July 20. Biometrics appointments arrived Aug 17; fingerprinted Aug 21; 171H received Sept 25th. On the wait list Oct 1st: #18. By Jan 25th, we're #13!
    Come home, baby A!
  • Options

I know how you feel...we've had some struggles with our agency as well (see "so thankful" below...that's me!) I agree with pp...you need to stay on top of them. Don't be afraid to call or email them. Also, celebrate the little victories.

One step at a time and you'll get there...

good luck! 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
  • Options
    imagesrmmm09:

I shouldn't feel bad about asking someone to do the job we will be paying them to do. But I do feel a little bit bad... merr. 

There's obviously a line between just asking them to do their job and harassing them -- but you haven't even come close to crossing it.  So you shouldn't feel bad about advocating for yourself.

My agency has been sort of a disaster.  We're sticking with them because of their international staff (whose ethics we appreciate), but stateside they've been incredibly slow and sometimes non-responsive.  I've had to hound them so many times that it isn't funny.  The adoption process has definitely improved my skills in being persistent.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"