Food Allergy
Options

aloe vera for eczema

We have eczema due to DD's soy allergy. Once we were diagnosed and eliminated the causes it subsided from head to toe to just her cheeks. Her allergist and pedi both agreed that if it can't be controlled from the steroid cream that we may need to see a dermatologist.  We can only use that and aquaphor... she even breaks out with aveno.  She has about 2 good days a week where it's gone and the rest are mess.  I am amazed at how fast the flare ups can come and go... literally in minutes.  I have found an excellent dermatologist, but last night in Baby 411 it mentioned aloe vera as an alternate medication.  I would much rather use something natural to control the flare ups than our steroid cream and aquaphor... has anyone had any luck with this?  TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: aloe vera for eczema

• Options

I don't think the aloe can hurt (like from an aloe plant- not a lotion with aloe since the probably has a lot of other junk in it). 

Eczema seems to be a pretty fickle thing- what works for one kiddo may not work for another.  What steroid are you on?  Aveno didn't help my boys either.  I found that the more basic the products- the better they responded.  We moved to calendula cream and a "babyganics" brand that work so much better for them than the typical big store eczema brands.  We use plain old olive oil as a moisturizer and a petrolium free vasaline type product for really bad flare ups. 

• Options

We are on Desonide, 0.05%.  I do have California Baby calendula cream that I have not tried.  We pretty much stick with Aquaphor, head to toe.  I know that Aquaphor has petroleum in it.  Does it make a difference if it is petroleum free?  I had not thought of that.  I do have a friend that grows aloe and is bringing me some today.  I think we are having such problems with her cheeks is because she is starting to roll over in her sleep and sleep on her tummy.  When she drools in her sleep, she just lays in it since she is on her tummy.  There isn't much I can do about that.  I really think once she gets all her teeth and grows out of the drooling stage it won't be such an issue.  Unfortunately, I think that is still a long way off. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/62690409.aspx

I just posted this over on the preschool board, maybe you can try some of our 'tactics'.  GL!

• Options
    DDs dermatologist Rx Protopic for her face.  It worked well for her.  She had a pretty extreme breakout, i tried a ton of over the counter meds first, but nothing worked.  
  • Options
    How do your babies sleep? Mine can't seem to do more than 4 hrs stretches these days. Our dr said his eczema is food allergy related so he's now on neocate. We use aquahor, hydrocortisone OTC and script levels, as well as a cream the dermatologist prescribed. We have even started giving him a bath with 1oz bleach in it and Benadryl at night to help. I'm at my end and would love more suggestions. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"