Blended Families
Options

Homework Battles

I am so frustrated with the daily battle over homework. My SD has been diagnosed ADHD, which is one contributing factor. Another factor is that she overall struggles with independence and responsibility. I used to teach elementary school so I am comfortable with the material she is working with, but God is seriously having a laugh that my toughest student ever is one that lives with me. The main issue is that she can't/won't do the work if someone isn't literally standing next to her. Her classwork,which then becomes homework, goes undone for that same reason. We have an IEP update on Feb. 10 and will revisit the topic of medication then.  So far, we have done frequent breaks, flashcards, one-to-one help, no help, quiet workspace, supplementary material (i.e. multiplication charts). What are some successful homework strategies you have tried with your children?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Homework Battles

• Options
    I have found that the reward system works.  We have a "star chart" for my three step kids, and it really helps them to see that they are being rewarded for whatever we are asking them to do.  They only live with us on weekends, but if we get a good report (no homework assignments missing during the week/ good class room behavior), they each get stars. 
  • Options

How old is she?  What grade?  How long have you been working with her?

I felt so out of my league with SS and his struggle with homework.  I always thought kids who didn't pay attention or get their work done were lazy.  Schoolwork was always easy for me.  I have learned so much working with SS, and it's heartbreaking to see sometimes how hard he has to work. 

His younger brother whips through his schoolwork in no time, and it's all correct, whereas he sometimes will spend his whole night finishing the days' assignments and we still have to go over it and make corrections together.  It's gotten much better, but he still has to put in a much greater effort for a lesser product.  It's really not fair.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Have you tried having her work for 15 minutes on her own and then 15 minutes with help and then take a break?

My SD really struggles to focus on her work, etc... although she does not have ADHD, and this strategy has worked best for us.

I also sit with her and make a small outline (specifically for writing assignments) and then she works for 15 minutes and then takes a break... so the same thing except I help her first and then let her work.

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • Options
    imageJ&A2008:

How old is she?  What grade?  How long have you been working with her?

I felt so out of my league with SS and his struggle with homework.  I always thought kids who didn't pay attention or get their work done were lazy.  Schoolwork was always easy for me.  I have learned so much working with SS, and it's heartbreaking to see sometimes how hard he has to work. 

His younger brother whips through his schoolwork in no time, and it's all correct, whereas he sometimes will spend his whole night finishing the days' assignments and we still have to go over it and make corrections together.  It's gotten much better, but he still has to put in a much greater effort for a lesser product.  It's really not fair.

This is the situation we have except that it is our oldest who whips through without much effort and the younger one that struggles.  I recently enrolled YS in Tae Kwon Do and even in just a few weeks I have noticed a huge difference.  They teach based on the work and reward system (mentioned by PP).  YS gets all this physical excersie and focus training right after school at Tae Kwon Do.  Then when he sits down to do homework at home it is much easier for him to sit in a chair and focus on school work.  They also focus on respect to teachers and peers and how to deal with peer pressure.  I wish I would have thought of it three years ago.  It is a little expense IMO but worth every penny.  We haven't had to battle over homework in several weeks and it is such a stress relief for everyone in the house.

• Options

We do TaeKwonDo as well, and it's made a big difference for DS. They talk a lot in class about focus, self control, etc. It's great, and I recommend it to people all the time. 

We also use a reward system for homework. I make up a chart with three columns (reading, homework, spelling) and I bought a bunch of fun little stamps and different colored stamp pads.

Every time he completes one assignment (homework is usually 2 pages of math, spelling is 10 spelling words, and reading is 20 minutes w/ a book) without getting counted to 3, he gets to pick a stamp and put it on his chart.

He can earn up to 12 stamps in a week (there's no Friday homework), and if he gets at least 10, we go do something special for him on Friday night. We've taken him to get a cupcake, we've gone to Chuck-e-Cheese, we've let him pick dinner, we've let him stay up late and watch a movie... 

It works for us. 

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I'm new to the board, though I can totally relate. My SD is 12 and if I am constantly not on her sitting next to her or in the same room w/ her she will wander and not do her HW. What I have noticed that works is to still sit there and monitor though about every hour or so, give them a break and or snack for about 20mins so they don't get bored. Though that method still has me sitting there and monitoring it just helps the process of getting her HW done a bit quicker.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    She is 10 and in the 5th grade. I am hoping things will improve since this is only her third week at her new school. 
  • Options
    Is she taking medication?
    Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options
    Currently no. She has been on and off medication over the past two years (a separate post completely). Since she moved in with us, she hasn't been on medication, but when we update her IEP we will get some advice as to whether that may be a next step. I've got conflicted feelings about medication. Some students I have worked with really thrived under it and others just seemed zonked out. When she is on it, it gives her ticks and doesn't seem to change her behavior otherwise. Thanks for everyone's input!
  • Options

Has she tried a few different types of medication?  What does her doctor say?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"