VBAC
Options

How did you make your decision?

I gave birth via c/s 9 weeks ago and am not even remotely planning on being preggers again anytime soon, but just thinking ahead a little.  I attempted a vaginal birth, complete with episiotomy and vacuum, but fetal distress lead to emergency c/s in the end.  At my 6 wk pp appt, my doc said that next time it will be my choice if I want to attempt a vaginal birth or have a scheduled c/s at 39 wks. 

If you had the choice and attempted VBAC, what was your deciding factor? 

Was your attempt successful or did you end up having another c/s? 

I'm very curious since when the time comes it will be a big decision to make!  Thanks for any help!

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How did you make your decision?

• Options

I wanted to do a VBAC but was open to RCS. The day of my induction they werent sure if I would be able to be induced. They wanted me to be at least 2-3cm. I was 1-2 so I assumed I would be a RCS. 

The doc came in and said "do you want more kids?" very simply. She said that the more c/s I have the riskier they will be. With that we decided to try a procedure that would open me without cervadil (they wont give for previous c/s), called a foley cathedar.

I had a quick successful vbac. I was almost relieved when they said I would be a RCS because I knew what to expect. I did not know that it would be so easy for me to give birth and recover after. GL! 

PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I never had a deciding factor.  DS was born via c/s because it was medically necessary in that case.  I VBACed because, to me, a c/s is there for medical need in emergency type situations.  I am glad it is an option because it saves lives, but I personally would never consent to unnecessary surgery. So, I always knew my second birth would be a VBAC unless a medical need arose that required a c/s. 

DD was a successful induced VBAC at 41 weeks.

You have plenty of time to make your decision but it is already a good sign that they are giving you the option! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I didn't want to go through another c/s if I could help it. Mine wasn't terrible, and it wasn't a horrible recovery, but I was very stressed during the whole thing (I had an unplanned c/s after laboring and pushing to the point of total exhaustion). My son was also hospitalized after he was born, which messed me up more than the c/s, but the memories of both are really entwined for me - I just wanted a drama-free, healthy birth for any subsequent kids.

Another reason for me to attempt VBAC is that I'm not comfortable with the risks that come with having more than two c-sections, and we might want to have a third kid someday.

The only thing I can add is that if you are serious about VBAC, look at other providers. One that truly supports VBAC won't put restrictions on you to go into labor before 39 weeks. hth!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    imagenosoup4u:

The only thing I can add is that if you are serious about VBAC, look at other providers. One that truly supports VBAC won't put restrictions on you to go into labor before 39 weeks. hth!

Yikes- I missed the 39 weeks part!  Any doctor who thinks it makes sense to evict your baby at 39 weeks for no real reason doesn't have the child's best interest in mind, IMO.  I would agree that you should check out other providers if you choose VBAC.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options

Honestly, it took me a long time to get to where I was considering a VBAC.  My c/s was very traumatic for me... and it might sound weird, but I think the RCS was attractive to me because I would be more in control if I went in with the intent to have a CS.

Once I got pregnant again, which was after 2 years had passed and I had some therapy to deal with my first birth... there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted a VBAC.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageMAprincess:
    imagenosoup4u:

Yikes- I missed the 39 weeks part!  Any doctor who thinks it makes sense to evict your baby at 39 weeks for no real reason doesn't have the child's best interest in mind, IMO.  I would agree that you should check out other providers if you choose VBAC.

Let me clarify, my doc is not against VBAC or putting restrictions on it.  I think it was just written wrong the first time.  If I choose VBAC I would go into labor naturally when ever it happened, I wouldn't be induced early, but if I wanted to go with the planned c/s they would plan it for 39 wks.  My provider is really great and always takes my opinion into account, I know it will be 100% my decision when the time comes. 

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"