Breastfeeding

When is it ok to stop pumping overnight?

My DH takes the night shift and gives LO a bottle overnight.  I usually wake up at least once to pump overnight, usually only 4 hours between the last pumping or feeding.  When is it ok to skip pumping overnight so I can get at least 6-8 hours straight sleep?  I'm 9 weeks PP and I'm concerned about losing supply.  TIA!

Re: When is it ok to stop pumping overnight?

• I stopped at about 4 weeks, but I was producing a ton of milk. When I pumped 4x a day, I was still producing about 50 oz. Try it, just drink plenty of water. If you feel it is messing with your supply, add it back.
  • I stopped the overnight pump a couple weeks before Christmas. I am down to 4 pumps a day now, one at 7 am, noon, 5 pm and last one around 10 pm. I get around 40 oz a day
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • At 9 weeks your body is still establishing supply. I would wait a bit longer before dropping the night pump. FWIW, my DD is 5 months old and I am still doing a night pump on the recommendation of my LC.
  • If your LO is still waking to eat at night, you should keep pumping at night.  Why not just BF though, so you don't have to pump?  I mean, if you're getting up anyway?
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My LO was still waking at night to eat, I had enough milk in the fridge that I didn't need to pump at night. If you can produce 35-40 oz during the daytime, you probably can stop the night pumps.
  • You can stop pumping when your LO no longer needs that overnight feeding.  My DD started sleeping longer stretches around 6 weeks (8:30-3:30) and now is going 10 hours.  Those first couple nights after she slept an additional hour, I was leaking and pretty uncomfortable.  But if you keep pumping, you'll keep your supply up for that session. 

There are some mornings when I still pump after that first morning feeding for my freezer stash.  I also do it if she doesn't get  both breasts empty and I'm still a little uncomfortable.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imagemamabrof:
    If your LO is still waking to eat at night, you should keep pumping at night.  Why not just BF though, so you don't have to pump?  I mean, if you're getting up anyway?

This. Especially at nine weeks that's very early your body is still adjusting to bfing. And can I just say I'm jealous I still do not get that much sleep at night and my lo is 15 months old and is still up at least once a night and up for the day at 5:30am.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • My LO is a marathon eater, so feeding sessions always go over 1 hour or more.  Also, he's been up 3-4 times a night, so if we don't bottle feed it means I get little or no sleep between feedings.  Right now I'm pumping 40+oz / day, and always have at least 5+oz left for the freezer stash.  I'll try giving up the overnight pump and adjust my daytime pumping if I need more milk, thanks for the advice.
  • I am struggling with this decision too because DD has been sleeping 9 hours at night for the last few weeks now but is only 7.5 weeks, so I am afraid to drop it.  I think I'll keep up the overnight pumping until 12 weeks or I go back to work.  I am way too afraid of damaging my supply by going that long without pumping before then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"