Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Taking Xanax while TTC/Pregnant

I'll be 31 soon and have been married several years. My husband and I really want to have kids.  I'm a very normal person have a great career and a very supportive hubby.  Most people have no idea I have really bad anxiety and OCD and I have to take Xanax for it. This is prescribed by a Dr and something I have been on for many years.  I was also abused as a child by my mother so this is an issue but working on that in therapy.  Moving 3000 miles away was a great first step HAHA  

Anyway, I stopped taking it to see how I felt and it did not go well!!!  I don't want to take anything, but not sure if this is realistic.  I have asked my Psychiatrist and just get "if the benefits outweigh the risk" speech.  He said it is my choice but feels I may need to take it while pregnant.  I am so frustrated because there really isn't any research out there.  I just read a study about a potential link between autism and SSRIs (which are antidepressants, not benzodiazepenes like this) but this stuff is scary because nobody really knows!

Is anyone else in a similar situation?  Are you pregnant and taking Xanax?  Did you take it while pregnant and have a healthy baby?  This sucks I just feel kind of stuck!  

Re: Taking Xanax while TTC/Pregnant

• Options
    I would also discuss this with your ob/gyn and get his/her opinion. Is there another medication that you can take instead that is safer during pregnancy?
    Me: 25
    Dx PCOS (June 2006, re-confirmed March 2012), Anemia (May 2010-Still fighting to correct it), Fibromyalgia (May 2011)
    Initial b/w - normal
    HSG (March 2012) revealed right tube open and looking great. Left tube deformed with hydrosalpinx.
    Lap (April 2012) Removal of left fallopian tube. Right tube open and viable, but "rather enlarged." NO evidence of endometriosis...Uterus looks beautiful and "very capable" of carrying a pregnancy!
    October 2012 - Clomid 50mg + trigger + IUI = BFN
    With all factors taken into account, RE is recommending IVF. Planning on moving forward with treatment as a single woman using DS by Summer 2013.
    After 17 months of trying, Surprise BFP #1 2.15.2008 | EDD 8.7.2008 | Lost 2.16.2008
    After 2 more years of trying, Surprise BFP #2 1.29.2012 | EDD 9.11.2012 | Lost 1.29.2012
    Surprise BFP #3 3.27.2012 | EDD 12/2/2012 | Lost 4.1.2012
    imageimage
    someecards.com - Get a colonic?!? Some older lady said that's what she did to cure her infertility...Who knew a fancy enema and a sparkling clean ass would cure my infertility.
    My Blog Pinterest
  • Options

Most of us are not pregnant yet. But I know that it is not safe to take any of those types of medication during pregnancy. I also suffer from anxiety and depression and am on those types of medication to control it. I know that my Dr. advised me to try to wean off and once I do get pregnant, I cannot take any of the meds. However, my Dr. does state that pregnancy hormones are a funny thing and for most woment it regulates all their moods/anxieties. She says once I give birth, I should be put back on meds to avoid PPD

HTH

Follow Me on Pinterest

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi, do you mean you take a Xanax as needed or on a regular basis?  I ask because Xanax is generally a benzo that's not meant to be taken preventatively.  Unless you're talking about Xanax XR which I was on and weaned myself off of prior to TTCing. That was a real bear BTW.  There are certain SSRIs that are safer for pregnancy.  I'm taking Zoloft while TTCing.  I would talk to your doc about trying a different pill.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm on a low dose of prozac for anxiety/depression.  My doctor and I have talked about TTC/pregnancy on this medication.  As it stands, if I can come off it and be sustainable, great!  If not, it will be better for me and my child if I stay on it. 

Keep the communication open between.  This is a challenge, but things could be worse!  

Good luck!

ETA: I take Xanax when I fly.  I don't plan on taking it when I'm pregnant; hopefully I won't have to fly anywhere. Tongue Tied

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Xanax is considered to be category D. This means that is has been shown to harm a fetus. I would talk to your doctor about taking something else. Good luck to you.
  • Options

I don't know specifically about Xanax but my main question is whether you weaned yourself off of it or quit cold turkey.  If you are taking it regularly, you should not quit cold turkey for any reason.  As PPs have mentioned, they weaned themselves off.  If you quit cold turkey, that would definitely add to the issues of going off of it in the first place.

Definitely talk to your OB about this.  I suffer mild depression (although my main issues are around PMS) and have controlled it with a supplement  - St. John's Wort.  I was actually surprised in my preconception appt when my doctor said I should stop taking it because it was not good to take while TTC.  And even with this, just a supplement, she recommended I start to taper it off, not quit cold turkey.

Me: 43 DH: 39 - AMA, DOR
    Mommy to Sami (IVF), Born 8.30.13
    Surprise non-assisted BFP - 12.29.2014, Beta 1 = 322, Beta 2 = 760
    EDD 9.7.2015

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options

I suffer from both anxiety and depression for which I take Zoloft. I used to take Xanax occasionally, in addition to the Zoloft, for times when my anxiety was really high.  My doctor specifically told me not to TTC while taking Xanax and instead increased my dosage of Zoloft to help with the anxiety. I would talk to your doctor about switching if you need something to help manage your symptoms.

Also, the study linking Autism to SSRI use in pregnancy isn't a very reliable source of information. They only correlated a link to mothers prescribed antidepressants, not necessarily actually taking the medication, and the sample was small.   There are of course other risks to taking medications while pregnant, but after talking to 2 different docs and a psych I decided the risks of going untreated did outweigh the risks of taking Zoloft. It is a personal decision and definitely not an easy one. 

BFP #1 2/20/12 - ectopic methotrexate @6w2d on 3/6/12 BFP#2 7/27/12 EDD 4/10/13- It's a boy! imageimagePhotobucketBabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've been told Buspar is really good for anxiety and safe to use during pregnancy. Ask your doctor what he thinks. Also get an opinion from your midwife/OB. I was on Xanax, Klonopin, and Effexor XR, but I weaned myself off of everything pending TTC and a custody case re: one of my stepchildren. It's possible as long as you have the right support and you've got some here.
  • Options
    imageHope2beaMOM12:

I'll be 31 soon and have been married several years. My husband and I really want to have kids.  I'm a very normal person have a great career and a very supportive hubby.  Most people have no idea I have really bad anxiety and OCD and I have to take Xanax for it. This is prescribed by a Dr and something I have been on for many years.  I was also abused as a child by my mother so this is an issue but working on that in therapy.  Moving 3000 miles away was a great first step HAHA  

Anyway, I stopped taking it to see how I felt and it did not go well!!!  I don't want to take anything, but not sure if this is realistic.  I have asked my Psychiatrist and just get "if the benefits outweigh the risk" speech.  He said it is my choice but feels I may need to take it while pregnant.  I am so frustrated because there really isn't any research out there.  I just read a study about a potential link between autism and SSRIs (which are antidepressants, not benzodiazepenes like this) but this stuff is scary because nobody really knows!

Is anyone else in a similar situation?  Are you pregnant and taking Xanax?  Did you take it while pregnant and have a healthy baby?  This sucks I just feel kind of stuck!  

I am in a similar situation.  I have very bad GAD and ADHD.  I take Lexapro, Seroquel and Vyvanse.  I spoke to my psychiatrist and OB about taking these meds while TTC and I too got the "if the benefits out weigh the risk" speech.

But when I went for my first appointment with the RE he was not concerned at all.  I am on low to moderate doses of the three meds and he did give a slight "benefits/risk" speech but he also said that if I needed the meds to function with my GAD and ADHD then that was ok.  He also said that there are women who smoke, drink and take hard drugs while pregnant or TTC (not the smoking/drinking)  and that is a big concern to him not meds that are needed.

It still concerns me a lot but I also dont want to be so anxious, stressed and feel like I cant function in daily life.

It has to be a decision that you make with your doctors and that you are comfortable with.

GL! 

• Options

Is weaning off the Xanax an option for you?  It is easier and safer than quitting cold turkey, which is generally not recommended.  I did the same with Paxil before TTC, and while it was difficult, it was worth it.  I have taken up running to compensate and I have to say, it has done wonders for my anxiety.

I have done the same with Ativan, although that has been a bit easier, as I only took it on an as-needed basis anyway.

I would try my best if I were you to find a way to stop taking the  Xanax before becoming pregnant. I am not familiar with the research on Xanax, but as someone who is going through a miscarriage right now, I can say that I would do anything to avoid an increased risk of this happening, including suffering through (what I know can be virtually debilitating) anxiety.

Good luck.  :)

Miscarriage in January 2012 at 8 weeks
    Subsequently diagnosed with low P4, LOR. MH DX low motility, varicocele 
    BFP in July 2012 (Gonal-f + trigger + IUI#2 (B2B) + prometrium)
    Lost Baby A prior to 7 weeks; large SCH; Baby B (Bug) was born in March 2013
    BFP June 2014; EDD February 19, 2015
  • Options
    imageHope2beaMOM12:

Benzodiazepines (XANAX and others) are not recommended in pregnancy. It is a category D drug and has evidence of human fetal risk. I would strongly suggest you do not take this while TTC and esp if you get pregnant. Have you considered waiting until you get some of your anxiety or medical condition under control? Also, if you have been taking these for awhile you should be weaned off them to prevent withdrawal. 

• Options
    I would def. talk with your Dr. and see if there are other options that are safer.You mentioned SSRI's which I can tell you are Class C medications and although there is not much research done on the long term affect of the baby many Dr.'s will prescribe these medicaitons over the benzodiazepenes. I am def. not a Dr. but I am a Certified Pharmacy Technician and know a lot about different medications. Xanax is a Class D medication and is usually not recommended during pregnancy because it can cause major birth defects. However just as your Psychiatrist stated the benefit must out weigh the risk to the fetus. Ultimately it is your decision but please know that it is not recommended that pregnant woman use bendoiazepenes. Best of Luck to you and I hope you find the option that works best for you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary image TTC #1 since 10/01/11
  • Options
    I take it as I have pretty severe anxiety, and continued while in the 2ww but was absolutely not allowed to take it while I was pregnant.
    i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)

Cooper+Evie=Soulmates

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"