Single Parents
Options

DNA Testing

The father of my child has agreed to do in-hospital DNA testing as soon as the baby is born but is willing to be a part of the prenatal care and child's life. Does anyone have any clue how long it takes for the DNA test to come back? I really want the child to have his last name and my state won't let me if he isn't on the birth certificate.

Re: DNA Testing

• Options

Doesn't your state allow the father to sign the acknowledgment of paternity if you aren't married? 

In my state if the parents aren't married the father signs the AOP and then his name goes on the birth certificate.

My son had to have a paternity test and it was done 9/1 and came back 10/8. Even though his father is his father according to the test he still isn't on the birth certificate. And I also could have given my son any last name I wanted to, with or without the father's consent because we weren't married.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I didn't include a father on my son's birth certificate, but it was amended after our results came back and our court case settled.  The results only took about 4 days, so I think it just depends on the test/system you are going through.

Also, I had a different last name at the time of my son's birth.  I could put whatever name I wanted on there - it didn't match mine and there was no father listed.  I don't think the state can regulate it like that.  I was even legally still married; I didn't have to list my then husband or use his last name (which is what mine was at the time.  I ended up giving DS my maiden name and now have that again for myself as well).

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You might not be able to have the father on the birth certificate if you aren't legally married w/o an acknowledgment of paternity, but you can name your kid whatever you want. I never heard of a law that preventing what name you gave your child. The child's last name doesn't have to match either of yours. 
  • Options

Did you hear this from a Family Law attorney?  or someone else?

I would consult an attorney in your area to make sure you are clear on all of your rights and facts.  I have never heard of a state being unwilling to allow a man to sign a birth certificate acknowledging paternity of a child.  

• Options

Luckily he's not unwilling, he just would feel better to sign it after a DNA test. We broke up right before I found out I was pregnant and unfortunately had friends playing both sides and while I didn't cheat on him, friends of ours told him I did. So that's added a little drama into the mix. I was just told I couldn't give the baby his last name unless he acknowledges paternity or there's a dna test so that was my only concern. Apparently I was told wrong :).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"