Stay at Home Moms
Options

3 year old growth spurt?

Has anyone's 3 year old had a growth spurt this year?  I measured our big guy today because he seems like he's outgrown quite a few shirts and pants in the length recently.  Turns out he's grown at least an inch since July!  That is 6 months.  He will be 4 in late May.  Doesn't that seem crazy!  He is 40" approx.

I am thrilled he is growing of course, I was just surprised at how much it was.  No wonder some of his shirts and pants look short! 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 3 year old growth spurt?

• Options

Parker has been growing like a weed for the last year.  Her summer clothes were so short on her she looked ridiculous by the end of the summer.  She started wearing size 4 pants/shirts this September for school and the pants are already too short for her. I've put aside at least two shirts that she can't wear anymore either. She's so thin, though I have no idea what to do beside try to take down the hem in some of them.  It's only been five months!!

This type of growing might be normal for some, but Parker was such a slow grower for such a long time that it's really crazy to me. 

• Options
    imageEnglishMajor03:

Parker has been growing like a weed for the last year.  Her summer clothes were so short on her she looked ridiculous by the end of the summer.  She started wearing size 4 pants/shirts this September for school and the pants are already too short for her. I've put aside at least two shirts that she can't wear anymore either. She's so thin, though I have no idea what to do beside try to take down the hem in some of them.  It's only been five months!!

This type of growing might be normal for some, but Parker was such a slow grower for such a long time that it's really crazy to me. 

Yeah I don't know what "normal" is, so I figured I'd ask all you guys.  :)  I am kinda hoping he ends up being tall so I'm excited about the prospect of his growth.  :)  

How do you take the hem out?  Do you just re-sew a smaller one? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm not sure what normal is either.

DD has been 38" for a really long while - it is freaking me out a bit.  Her pediatrician said that it is pretty common to plateau for a good while and then make a significant leap.  I don't know. 

• Options
    imagesusanmosley:

I'm not sure what normal is either.

DD has been 38" for a really long while - it is freaking me out a bit.  Her pediatrician said that it is pretty common to plateau for a good while and then make a significant leap.  I don't know. 

Ty stayed the same height for awhile too, and then apparently just jumped up.  I think your dd is a bit younger than him, right?  I bet her "leap" is around the corner. 

• Options
    imagelaney75:
    imageEnglishMajor03:

Yeah I don't know what "normal" is, so I figured I'd ask all you guys.  :)  I am kinda hoping he ends up being tall so I'm excited about the prospect of his growth.  :)  

How do you take the hem out?  Do you just re-sew a smaller one? 

Yeah on the pants that are cotton, which are few and far between.  She mostly has sweatpants-type material so those are just going to stay short. = 

• Options
    D's tends to have growth spurts every six months. He had one two days after his three year old checkup and grew 1.5 inches! Honestly, he was 35.5 inches at his appointment. Two days later, I noticed he was significantly taller than the kitchen counter, so I measured him and he was 37". He had another at 3.5 and I think he is around 39 inches now.
  • Options

My DD is going through the same thing.  Shortly after turning 3 (last month) she has been going through a huge growth spurt.  The clothes she was wearing around Christmas are already getting too short on her in the sleeves and pant length. 

She's always been in the size that goes with her age (2T while she was 2, 3T around the time she turned 3, etc.) and she is fitting into 4T's lately.  Those 3T's didn't last long, only a month or 2.  They are already too short!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 32  DH: 32
    9yo DD - born 12.15.08
    5yo DS - born 9.21.12
    MMC - 3.2.15 @ 10 Weeks
    MC - 6.19.16 @ 6 weeks
    BFP - 3.9.18 EDD - 11/13/18
  • Options
    Ds1 will be four at the end of March and has been wearing five slims pants all fall/winter.He has always been very tall and thin. He was 40.5 inches when he turned 3 and is now about 43 inches. He is tiny in the waist and hips so this summer he'll probably be in a 3 to 4 short this summer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"