Breastfeeding

Squirmy baby while nursing

It seems that sometimes when I'm nursing DD, she starts kicking or stretching out her legs and sometimes pushes away with her hands about half-way through the nursing session. I know it's not b/c she is finished since I only get about 3-4 oz after a good pumping session. I think it's when the milk isn't flowing fast enough. After an initial let-down is finished, my flow gets very slow until another let-down comes (which sometimes takes a while). It seems that when she is first on the boob and I can tell she is getting plenty, she is still. Do you guys think slow flow is why she's squirming half way through the nursing session? 
Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
IT'S A GIRL!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
#2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
Lilypie Maternity tickers
VOTE on my Name List
I don't take one single minute for granted.

Re: Squirmy baby while nursing

• I don't think it's your flow. I know as Aubrey got older that she became more aware of the world around her and moved/fussed when trying to feed her. I try to feed her in a quiet room with no distractions and she does a lot better. Now at 11 months, she likes to roll from her back/side to her belly and even try to stand up while nursing. Yes sometimes, it hurts, but from what I have experienced and read, it's completely normal. Just try feeing you LO in a room without distractions and hopefully it gets better!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm not sure how old your DD is, but honestly, babies just get squirmy as they get older and BF doesn't require 100% of their attention.  If she seems unhappy squirmy, I'd just put her on the other side.  It could be she's going through a growth spurt and needs to stimulate your supply. 

Also, I wouldn't worry about the "slow flow" thing--thats how everyone's milk works.  An initial letdown, then baby continues to suck to trigger the next letdown.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"