Stay at Home Moms
Options

I worry I am not a "fun" mom

Do you ever wonder if you aren't doing enough with your DC? I sit and look at my day and it revolves around getting him to nap, feeding, getting some errands done. My DS is almost 7 months old and I worry I'm not "stimulating" him enough. I only read to him once a day and he plays in his exersaucer and with toys. But, I wonder if I am doing enough with him (as in mommy and me time). How do you all balance?

Re: I worry I am not a "fun" mom

• Options
    We just play a lot, since DD is not ready for classes yet.  I'm hoping to start a music class in January.  We also go to a playgroup once a week,  she is starting to enjoy interacting with the other children. 
  • Options

It's tough some days when you have a lot to do but it is really important. I really have no choice but to play with him...he's crawling and pulling up and starting to cruise. But even before then I made it a point to get on the ground and play with him.

Infants have a short attention span so its really not about what you are doing. I will sit him on the bed while I fold laundry and throw a shirt over his head to play peek a boo...he loves it! Or I will let him crawl around the kitchen when I wash dishes or make dinner...I can keep an eye on him and still gets stuff done.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagejennstarr054:

Infants have a short attention span so its really not about what you are doing. I will sit him on the bed while I fold laundry and throw a shirt over his head to play peek a boo...he loves it! Or I will let him crawl around the kitchen when I wash dishes or make dinner...I can keep an eye on him and still gets stuff done.

We do the same thing.  It's all about integrating her into the stuff I do.  I sit her on the kitchen floor and give her some plastic utensils and tupperware and she has a great time making noise.  She's recently started crawling, and whenever I run the Roomba she totally crawls after it.  So cute! 

• Options

LOL! Don't worry. Just do the best that you can. Kids do NOT need constant stimulation. I'm sure that your son is very well adjusted and just fine.

I have 2 (will have 3 in December). We do belong to a Mom's club, DD#1 just started preschool, and we go to a mommy&me Greek class (DH and I are Greek) as well as a music class, so we really have a PACKED schedule. I didn't plan it this way - it just worked out.

When I had just DD#1, we really didn't do a lot other than storytime at the library and music. That was enough. Some days, I was bored to tears - I HATE the newborn stage. I like them MUCH better after they turn 1........?

I would try a music class. If you can't afford that, then go to storytime at your local library - it's free, and it would be something to do with your son and other children. Also, join a local mom's club (check www.momsclub.org for one in your area) - there will be activities that you guys can join in on.

GL!?

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

I feel the same way sometimes like I'm not doing enough with DS. Today we put away dishes in the kitchen and I cleaned up talking to him while I was doing everything. Same thing with the laundry I started earlier. He sat in his Bumbo and watched me do that.

We belong to a MOPs group but we only meet once every 2 weeks. I'm thinking of taking him to the library for childrens storytime to get him used to listening to others read stories.

• Options
    I highly recommend story time at your library.  Ours is a mixture of songs, stories, and playtime.  I starting taking DD when she was only five months old, now at almost 7 months she adores books and shows preferences for certain stories.  If she gets upset in the car I can recite her favorite book and she will calm down immediately. 
  • Options
    i think this is something we all worry about.... kind of like am I feeding dc enough of this or too much of that? I am sure you are doing a fine job!!
  • Options

Awww... don't feel that way!

Like the PPS said, there's NO NEED for constant stimulation/playtime at that age, just a car ride is enough for them at that age.  :)  You are being way too hard on yourself and trust me, there will be enough time for interacting and real "fun" when he is older... you'll barely get a chance to sit down once he's 2!  haha  

Story Times/SIng-a-longs are great at any age so, contact your local Library.

Going to the park, just to socialize him with other kids and so you can meet other moms is also a great thing to do.

I would go to museums, coffee shops, go shopping, do anything and everything you've ever wanted to do as long as he's not mobile and still sleeps several hours a day if I were in your shoes again... I didn't do it enough and now, our plans are ALL about what is best for Emily, not what is best for me.  She has a real opinion now!  haha  Anywhoo, just keep doing your best and STOP beating yourself up!  

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• Options

whatever makes YOU happy - hanging out with girlfriends, shopping, will translate to a happy baby.  At this age just loving the baby, talking and holding is just fine.

Our generation of parenting has gotten more than a little psycho.  And when you have your second, VICTORY and GOOD PARENTING is if both kids have a clean diaper.  LOL

• Options

That is great that you're reading to him once a day!  I try to do that with my 7 month old too, and we really enjoy it.

The other thing that helps me feel like I'm getting things done and helping him learn about the world is my baby carrier.  I have a mai tai that I made, and I put him on my back and he loves it.  He can watch me as we hang laundry, do dishes, etc.  You can check out some really cool mai tai carriers at babyhawk.com, or look on etsy.  I think that just watching as we do things really teaches them a lot.  I also try to talk to him about what I'm doing, what we are looking at... like if we're hanging clothes, I talk to him about what I'm hanging up at the moment, or if the dog is around I point him out, or just talk about the weather!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"