New Jersey Babies
Options

Need an OB/GYN recommendation! - Mercer County

Hi ladies,

I am from Mercer County, specifically Hamilton, and I have never been to any doctors in the area. I went through a long period of time without insurance, and I will be getting my new insurance from my job in the beginning of February. In preparation, I need to find a doctor because I'm 4 weeks along!

Does anyone have any recommendations for OB/GYN's that they liked? Or know of a site where I can read reviews on doctors? I'm trying to gather information quickly so I can make some appointments ASAP!

TIA. Big Smile

"Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)

Re: Need an OB/GYN recommendation! - Mercer County

• Options
    I also live in Hamilton and I go to Lawrence OBGYN.  It's only about 10, maybe 15 minutes TOPS from Hamilton and I love it there.  They have doctors and midwives (i saw the midwives for my pregnancy).  They are located on Franklin Corner Road and their phone number is 609-896-1400. They also have offices in Hamilton (on Whitehorse-Mercerville Road) and one in Yardley. I never went to the Hamilton or Yardley office though.  All their info is on their website www.lawrenceobgyn.com.  Good luck! PS I had to see all of the midwives, but my favorites were Caitlin and Christie.   
  • Options
    I know this is a stupid question, but I'm very unfamiliar with all of this and just getting used to all of the terminology. But I was reading "What To Expect When You're Expecting" and they explain the difference between midwives / ob-gyns / etc. And I'm pretty sure that I wanted to be seen by the kind of doctor that can do EVERYTHING and stay with you from appointment 1 until delivery. (Maybe it would be 2 or 3 doctors, but that it would be the same small group of people or person throughout your whole pregnancy and delivery.) Is this available at Lawrence OBGYN? Sorry if it's a ridiculous question! Sad
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, that's pretty much true.  Midwives can do everything a doctor can do except csection and administer a vacuum or forceps.  When I first went to Lawrence, I saw both the doctors and the midwives in the beginning so that I could get a feel for both before I chose which "route" to take (you can meet with both for a little then you have to choose one or the other).  I felt that with the doctors, they always rushed in and rushed out whereas the midwives really took the time to sit and talk with me and were very easygoing.  My delivery didn't go exactly as planned and after almost 30 hours of labor and 4 hours of pushing, I had to have the vacuum used.  My midwife wasn't allowed to use it, so she called in one of the doctors (Dr. Smalls, who was actually the only doctor out of the 4 that I really liked) to do it. My midwife was with me the whole time but the doctor just had to do the actual vacuum.  It's all a matter of what you're comfortable with.  Meet with both in the beginning to see what you like and then decide. Good luck! Whichever you choose, though, you will have to meet with all of the doctors or all of the midwives because they won't guarantee who will be on call to actually deliver you. 
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the information!
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • Options
    I'm also going to Lawrence OBGYN. I'm seeing the midwives, but also used to see Dr. Funches as my regular GYN before I got pregnant.
  • Options
    I second everything all pp have said. I transferred to the Lawrenceville office when I was half way through my pregnancy (because I worked at Capital Health and wanted to deliver at Mercer).  They were great!  I actually had my baby girl 4 weeks early, and had just seen the midwife Leann the afternoon before I went into work.  I was working when my water broke!  I called the hospital and she was the midwife on.  To make a long story short, my baby was breech so I had to have an emergency c-section and they had to call the doctor in, because midwives cannot do them.  Dr Sheikh was awesome!  Good luck!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image 043 (2) Harper
  • Options
    I know it is a bit farther north from where you live, but Princeton Hospital is also another option for delivery.  I work there as a nurse (but elderly unit, not on the maternity floor) and am planning on delivering there in March.  I go to Princeton OBGYN and have been happy with them so far.  They are opening a new hospital on route 1 in May, so I'm sure it will be all new and fancy.  Let me know if you have any questions I could help answer!  :) Vanessa
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"