Preemies
Options

How much nicu time for Your 35 weeker?

I know it's obviously different for everyone and we're expecting nicu time even if we make it to 39 weeks. I have NSTs twice a week. On Monday the strip looked great (yay!) but I was contracting every 3 minutes so I was checked and was 1cm and 50-60% effaced. I I know I could stay that way for weeks. I've been contracting ever since though. Anywhere from every 3 minutes to every 10 minutes. I have periods of none too. My OB said our new goal is 37 weeks but not to be surprised if I don't make it another week. I'm scared! Talk to me :) (sorry for the formatting, I'm on my tablet) ETA: Her iugr has reversed some and she's up to the 20th percentile! My last growth scan was yesterday and she's around 4lb 14oz now.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How much nicu time for Your 35 weeker?

• Options
    Our 3lb8oz baby was in 17 days and our 5 lb baby came right home.
  • Options

My LO was IUGR and born at exactly 35 weeks - 3lbs 12 oz.  He stayed in the NICU for 31 days as a feeder/grower.  

I think at 35 weeks, it's all about the size and how it relates to strength and stamina needed for feeding etc.  4lb 14oz is a great size, and I would predict a very short NICU stay, if any.

My LO was about that weight when he came home (after 31 days).

GL!!!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DS was 6lb9oz, but stayed for a week due to resp.distress, jaundice, and trouble regulating his temp...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

imageimage

• Options
    Thanks ladies! Because she has Down syndrome and a heart defect she'll at least be observed for a day!
  • Options

through my internet travels, i found an amazing blog about parents of a child with downs and a heart defect. im addicted to it, probably one of the blogs i read most regularly. i actually went back to the beginning and went forward.

https://lifeasweknowit-jenniferm.blogspot.com/

Shane 8/19/12 Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    Ours were born just shy of 35 week (34 weeks 5 days). They actually had 9s on their APGARs at delivery. And weighed in at a respectable 5lbs. 6 oz. and 5lbs. 5 oz. But had developed some kind of infection (I had preterm labor -- didn't even know my water broke could have caused bacteria to get to them). So they initially told me they could go home with me when I was discharged but ended up in the NICU for 9 days. A really short time compared to other preemies. Hope you get to take the little one home speedily!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Our daughter was born right at 35 weeks and weighed 5 lbs. 7 oz. and never went to the NICU. Hopefully Lauren just keeps getting bigger by the day and will be in and out of observation in no time!
    Leigh 04.26.2008 Arlo 01.30.2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I just asked the neonatologist this today-- my pre-e is advancing faster than I would like.  She said at that 35-36 weeks it wasn't unusual to spend 1-2 weeks in there, which is what we figured. So far my baby seems fine and I'm only the one who is sick, so I am hoping to wait as long as I can until induction.   
  • Options
    Thanks again for the different perspectives!
  • Options
    My son was born at 35 weeks due to pre-e and was a huge 6lbs 15oz and came home with me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My LO was a 36 weeker and was 5lb, 3.6 oz at birth. She wasn't initially admitted to the NICU and was doing ok with feeding/temp regulating, but she developed some scary jaundice and especially being so little, they kept her and she stayed for 5 days.
  • Options

It varies so much at this gestation.

Ours was big, 7 lb 1 oz, no NICU time, 5-6 days (I think?) in intermediate nursery.

• Options
    DD was born at 35 weeks exactly for unknown reasons.  She weighed 6lbs.3oz and had no NICU stay, just the standard 2 day hospital stay.
  • Options
    34w3days 4lbs 15 oz - 1 week in NICU.  I was told at our hospital <35 weeks baby must go to the NICU no matter what.  At 35 weeks or more they make the decision based on how the baby is doing.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My 6.7lb baby was in the NICU 6 days.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Options
    My DS was born at 35 weeks and was in NICU for 2and a half weeks. He had respiratory distress and Jaundice as well as could not regulate temp. He was 6pounds 2 ounces. He came early due to my placenta detaching. Best of luck!
    Jenn Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I just had our baby on Wed. at 35 weeks exactly for pre-eclampsia. I also have Type 1 diabetes. LO received steroids at 30 weeks. Our son weighed 4 lbs, 10.5 oz. He spent 28 hours in NICU for low blood sugars (very common in babies of diabetic moms). Baby and I should be discharged home tomorrow. Fortunately our little one has been taking formula well, pooping/eating, no jaundice, etc. Good luck! Hope you don't have much NICU time!
  • Options

My first 35 weeker was6lbs 1ozno nicu time. 

My triplet 35 weekers were 4lbs5oz 19 days in special care, 5lbs 2oz no special care came home with me, 4lbs 11oz 2 days nicu 8 more days in special care nursery. My 2 who stayed in special care were just to eat and grow  

• Options
    DD was born at 34w6d.  She weighed 6lbs, 7 oz.  No NICU time.  The only struggles she had were some jaundice and struggle to keep her weight up.  We had to bring her in to the hospital every other day the first week to check her weight and her bilirubin levels.  She never needed to be re-admitted and didn't need phototherapy.  Good luck to you and your LO!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Reed was born at 34w2d weighing 6lbs3oz and spent 21 days in NICU for resp. distress and jaundice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    LO was born at 35w3d weighing 6lb1oz. He spent 4 days in level 2 NICU for a suspected blood infection (turns out he didn't have one) and jaundice. But he was really just a feeder/grower.
  • Options

my 35w2d was in the nicu for 5 days. looking back on it i'm not sure why he was there as long as he was. Initially they thought he had premature lung syndrome, but after an x-ray they concluded that he just had wet lungs. He was on cpap for 2 hours and never had true oxygen (just pressurized room air). his white count was a little elevated, so they had him on antibiotics. They weren't sure if i had group b strep because they hadn't gotten my test results back (i was negative). I think his white count was high because i was sick (sore throat and terrible congestion) when i gave birth, but who knows. 

Good luck! i hope you stay pregnant for as long as possible. 

• Options
    My DD was born at 35w4d at 5 pounds 1 ounce. She didn't spend any time in the NICU. I credit the steroid shots I had gotten to mature her lungs at about 30 weeks. 

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Options
    Our 34w6d baby spent 10 days in the special care nursery for jaundice and as a feeder/grower.  She was 4lbs14oz at birth, 4lbs13oz on day of discharge.
    TTC #1 May 2007
    M/C January 2008
    DS February 16th, 2009

TTC #2 July 2010
    Diagnosed MFI
    IUI#1 w/ bravelle 5/12/11 -- 0% morph on day of IUI, but somehow BFP:
    Beta #1 38 at 12dpiui, Beta #2 85 at 14dpiui Beta #3 1100 at 19dpiui
    DD born December 28, 2011 at 34w6d

Baby #3 due June 14, 2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards