January 2012 Moms
Options

Two labor questions

1. Do you lose your mucus plug before your water breaks? My instincts are telling me yes because it is a "plug", but I am not sure, thus the question. ( I know you can lose it without noticing and weeks/days before active labor, so that isn't the question). 

2. Did you call your doctor before you went to the hospital (if your water broke or had true labor contractions), or did you go straight to L & D and have them call your doc from there? (especially if it was in the middle of the night).  

Thanks! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Two labor questions

• Options
    I did not lose my mucus plug and they ended up breaking my water at the hospital later that day.  I went into labor early in the morning and just went to the hospital.  My doctor told me to go straight to the hospital if I thought I was in labor and they would contact her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I lost my plug before going into labour, but I don't know how long I was with out it. And as I went into labour on a Saturday, we just went to the hospital. It was 11pm when we got there, and I delivered at 1am.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i dont think i lost my mucus plug either, i did have some thicker discharge, but nothing that i would have suspected being my muscus plug, and the mw broke my water when i was 8cm to allow me to progress faster. 

not sure about the hospital thing since i had a mw, but i would just ask your dr and see what they say.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    As a FTM, I don't know what to say about the mucous plug. I asked my OB when I should go to the hospital and he told me to call his office or emergency line if I think I'm in labor. Then he'd either have me come into the office to be checked out or we'd discuss it then. His office is next door to the hospital.
    Married DH - December 2006, Started TTC - July 2009, BFP - May 15, 2011 (round #1 chlomid) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Usually you call the office and talk to the oncall ob and they tell you what to do. That way they can tell l&d to expect you and what they want done. I work in labor and delivery and it is always much better and prefered when you call ob first.
  • Options

My OB told me it was fine either way--I was welcome to call their office and then head to the hospital or just head to the hospital and have them call her.  But her office is in the same medical center as the hospital, so she could just pop over and examine me when I get there.

If it's after hours, you could just head straight to the hospital and they'll call the answering service for you when you get there.  I would HIGHLY recommend pre-registering at the hospital if you can; that way they'll have your insurance information and OB name ready to go when you get there.

And thanks for asking about the mucus plug!  I've been wondering about that myself, since a lot of women seem to have lost it days/hours before they go into labor, and I've got nothing going on there...sigh. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I lost my mucus plug a couple hours before my water broke.  My doctor had me call their office/the on call number if I thought I was in labor and they would decide if I needed to go in or not.  When I called when my water broke, my doc notified the hospital that I was coming in.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

DD 1/3/2012
    BFP 5/21/2013 MC 5/24/2013
    BFP 7/16/2013 EDD 3/27/2014
  • Options
    I never noticed losing my mucus plug. When my water broke, I called my OB's office and they told me to go to the hospital. When we took our birthing class, they said you should go to the hospital when your contractions are 5 minutes apart for an hour OR when your water breaks.

• Options
    lp0lp0 member
    I did not Lise my mucus plug prior to my water breaking. I kept watching for it but just had the normal amount of discharge as I did throughout the pregnancy. I was told to call before going to the hospital so that's what we did. She told the nurses we were heading down there so they were expecting us.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options

1. I lost my mucus plug on Saturday and my water broke on Tuesday.

2. I was a birth center patient so I am a little different but if I had been a hospital patient (which it was looking like I could have been for a while) I would have called the OB first, no matter what time, before heading in.

Jess and Michael Married 10/2006
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    For me: yes and yes. We called the OB to check and see if we should go in. Then when we got there they were expecting me as had a room ready. 
    DD 1.18.2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"