Health & Exercise

Runners that have had to stop during pregnancy...

Did you feel depressed/sad?

I was running about 80-100 miles per month pre-pregnancy.  I ran 4 days a week and it was my sanity. 

I've had to table outdoor runs since becomming pregnant and am on the treadmill which just isn't the same but at least I am still able to run.

I feel like I have hit a wall and that my body is revolting when I run now (only running 2 x per week - 3 mile runs and then on my other two days I am doing the eliptical).  I feel sick after running now and have BH/cramping for about 2 hours after my runs.  Its not worth it to feel so bad so I think I have to stop and just do the eliptical.  I am sad!

How did you cope with totally modifying your running life?  TIA.

Re: Runners that have had to stop during pregnancy...

• I did pregnancy work out dvd's.  They are awesome. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageHappyMommy28:
    I did pregnancy work out dvd's.  They are awesome. :)

This is what I do. I was on pelvic rest for the first trimester and it just didn't seem like a good idea to start running after such a long break. I go to the gym ocassionally and do ellipticals and treadmills, but my main workouts happen at home. I do pregnancy DVDs and some that aren't specifically for pregnant women. I just listen to my body and I modify the movements when necessary.

• Loading the player...
  • I cut back gradually until I got to the point where it just made me feel too sick/tired and was no longer enjoyable for me, but more work.  Then I switched to walking and lately even that is a lot for me with working where I do ( I am on my feet literally all day long).  Just listen to your body, remember you can always pick it up again post-pregnancy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wasn't a super runner, but running and/or sprinting was a typical part of my weekly workout routine and now I just cannot do it.  I feel like the slow jog that I can sustain for short periods of time isnt worth the effort. I do miss it.

If I go to the gym I do the elliptical, bike or EFX machine for straight cardio, but I have focused more on weights and toning. 

I also  had to give up pilates reformer from being on my back. Another workout I picked up about 3 month prior to getting pregnant was Kettlebells, so I ordered a dvd called baby bells. Not the most exciting workout dvd but its still a workout actually.

DD - Lucia Alessandra 6/18/12  ~~~  Welcoming Baby Boy!! - 3/26/14

• I was a little sad because I always imagined that I would run my whole pregnancy. I made it to 24w.

I didn't necessarily feel depressed though. I continued taking fitness classes (TKB, yoga, weight classes) and walked regularly up until the day I delivered. I was in better shape while pregnant than I am now. :/

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm sorry!  I know how you feel.  I run about 25-40 miles a week not pregnant.  I was able to run during my first pregnancy to 41 weeks+ and it was pretty easy to keep up.  But I am struggling a bit more this time around.  I've had really painful arches the last few weeks and I ran 4 miles last night and it was a bear to get through.  I'm trying to muddle through though.  I know I'm crazy and running is the only workout I really really love.  I hope I can run the same now as I did the first pregnancy. 
  • I too had to give up running, which I did at about 12 weeks.  My boobs no matter how good my sports bra was just hurt so bad.  Also my heart rate was much higher than normal so my MW said to give it up.  Now I walk to the park with DD, and back and I can't help it but I always run part of the time just because my body is just used to it (until I can no longer take the boob ache).  I figure I should enjoy my time off and that I will get right back to it pp.  

I am one of those people that love a challenge, so every time I walk I see how fast I can do it. So maybe you could challenge yourself that way and see how fast you can walk your miles.  GL 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm not pregnant yet, but hope to become so in the next few months and this is something that is on my mind. I'm a runner and a running coach and so I'm curious about how much I'll be able to keep up, both with my own interest in running and with my athletes! It has also caused me to start thinking about how long it will take for me to get back in shape after pregnancy (and in this case I don't mean "in shape" with regard to weight loss, but instead with regard to endurance on a long run). Can anyone speak to that? How did you go about working your way back? How did you deal with the frustration (I'm sure there's going to be frustration...)?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I also envisioned running until the very end, but I also envisioned only one baby at a time :)

Even though I haven't been explicitly told to stop by my Dr., I was so sore after each run that I figured  it was time to stop. I made it to 21 weeks, so I am trying to be happy about that. First tri was great- I was still getting in 20-25 mpw and saw no end in sight at the time. 

I am still having a hard time with it - mostly because I know I won't be able to until late May or June. It's easier in the winter since the weather doesn't scream "come run 10 miles with me!" each day.

To keep my sanity I have been walking outside when it's warm enough or walking on my treadmill for about 40 minutes at an incline. I also jog a few minutes here and there, but I don't really count it as running.Still doing some lifting 2x a week, too. I started wearing my HRM again to make sure I am working hard enough while walking, but not too hard.

my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I ran until 28 weeks.  Then I walked 3 miles twice a week.  I walked the day before DD was born.  I missed it a lot, and would look longingly at runners.  I've been able to run some since having DD...but only when DH can watch her.  Once the weather gets better here (Wisconsin), I can't wait to get a jogging stroller and really up the miles.
    www.minegoes2-11.blogspot.com

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejely26:
    I'm not pregnant yet, but hope to become so in the next few months and this is something that is on my mind. I'm a runner and a running coach and so I'm curious about how much I'll be able to keep up, both with my own interest in running and with my athletes! It has also caused me to start thinking about how long it will take for me to get back in shape after pregnancy (and in this case I don't mean "in shape" with regard to weight loss, but instead with regard to endurance on a long run). Can anyone speak to that? How did you go about working your way back? How did you deal with the frustration (I'm sure there's going to be frustration...)?

This will likely depend on your delivery.  I had a c-section and went for my first post-baby run around 5 and 1/2 weeks.  It was SO hard!!  I tried to go 3 miles and actually had to stop.  I went about 12 minute miles.  Ironically, running at 41w3d pregnant was easier then that run. 

Things got gradually better after that and I was able to do a 6 mile run before I went back to work at 3 months pp.  I kept running about 5 days a week and around 4 months I just turned a corner and could run like normal.  I PRed an 8K when my baby was about 3-4 months old and I actually ran some of my fastest times in the year after he was born.  I ran a 1/2 marathon 11 months after he was born and did pretty average for me. 

In sum, it's really, really tough at first but a few months into running if you keep it up you will be like before or even better.  Good luck!

• I am also a avid runner and running coach. I thought I would run my entire pregnancy... but had to stop last week (at 30 weeks). Before pregnancy I was training at 45-50 mile weeks (running 6-7 days). I gradually cut down during pregnancy until I was getting about 20-25 miles (on 5 days of running per week) all through 2nd trimester and beginning of 3rd.. Then I got sick (just a cold, but it was bad) and I took a week off from all types of working out. Last week, I tried to run and although my legs & lungs felt great, the pressure in my lower abdomen was just too much to ignore so I didn't even make it mile. I ended up walking that day and have since switched to the elliptical. I still do 5-5.25 miles on the elliptical 5 days a week and do 2 days of light weights so I feel good, but I know what you mean about wishing I were still running :( 

I feel like maybe last Monday was just a tired/bad day and maybe if I got on the treadmill and tried really slow--maybe run/walking I could do it, but part of me thinks it was time to switch to elliptical anyway.  Anyway, I will be anxious to get back to running after the little dude is born and anxious about getting back in good running shape (speed/endurance) so that I can get back to racing too. Last year (before getting pregnant) I had a great year of training/running and PR'd at all distances so it was hard (an understatement) to give it up.

• I give ladies a lot of credit that can run their whole pregnancy. Like most of you, I had to stop running at 18 weeks because it was way uncomfortable and I get short of breath. My friend gave me a couple Leslie Sansone DVDs and I actually enjoy doing those when I don't go to the gym to walk. I also have Lindsey Brin and Summer Sanders and like alternating those to mix it up. GL to you!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imagejely26:
    I'm not pregnant yet, but hope to become so in the next few months and this is something that is on my mind. I'm a runner and a running coach and so I'm curious about how much I'll be able to keep up, both with my own interest in running and with my athletes! It has also caused me to start thinking about how long it will take for me to get back in shape after pregnancy (and in this case I don't mean "in shape" with regard to weight loss, but instead with regard to endurance on a long run). Can anyone speak to that? How did you go about working your way back? How did you deal with the frustration (I'm sure there's going to be frustration...)?

Yes! I ran until I was 25 weeks pregnant. The day after I had a really great 5k. My doctor had me switch to a lower impact sport. I was bummed for weeks. However, I continued working out 6 days a week until my daughter was born at 39 weeks. I power walked in races until month 9.

I was fully cleared to run at 6 weeks post delivery. I did't my first post pregnancy race(5k) 3 days later. I did a sprint tri when LO was 3 months old, and did 12 half marathons within the following 12 months.  My endurance was fine. However, I didn't really get back to my normal speed until I'd finished breastfeeding when my LO was 13 months old. 

There was definitely frustration. It was a surprise pregnancy. The year I got pregnant I 'd done 3 marathons,  ran I sub 22 5k, and was at the peak of my running shape. For the  first  9 month post baby, I could not break 30 min for a 5k. I wasn't used to my slower pace, and being further back in the pack. It was rough mentally. However, I had a good support system (DH, running club, CrossFit trainers), to help keep me focused. 

• I usually lurk, but thought I would share my experience of not being able to run.  In my case, it had nothing to do with being pregnant; I sustained a terrible knee injury during a Mud Run, which caused an ACL rupture, extensive meniscal damage both medially and laterally, and a chondral defect (which wasn't found until my ACL reconstruction).  In addition to needing the chondral defect repaired (with ACI (not ACL) surgery), I'll need a meniscal transplant.  Needless to say, despite my new ACL and a meniscal repair on one side, I'm not permitted to run (not that I would want to because I experience a great deal of pain in the chondral defect area). 

I wanted to sympathize with what you're going through.  I was a runner for 15 years before the injury- marathons, half-marathons, 10Ks, 5Ks- you name it, I've run it.  A majority of my identity was rapped up in being a runner.  When I got injured, I fell apart- but then I got stronger and realized that not being able to run (for now or forever) was not going to change the fact that I am an athlete.  Once that flip switched in my head, I went out and bought an elliptical, made friends with the stationary bike and started rowing. 

Nobody but a runner can really understand what a loss not being able to run brings.  I hope you find your switch (I can't run, but I'm still an athlete!).  Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"