School-Aged Children
Options

Any Transitional-Kindergarten parents out there?

Do you like it?  I am aware our state governor may eventually wipe out this program, however our district is going to offer it this year.  My daughter was born Oct. 26, four days before our state's cutoff of Nov. 1.  Her preschool teacher says she's ready for K, but my hubby and I don't love the idea of her being the youngest all the way through her school career. We were told we may choose for her to go to T-K instead.  Sounds like a great solution, but don't know too many people who have gone through a t-k program..thought you guys could weigh in :)

TIA! 

Proud mom to DD Born Oct. 26, 2007, and DS Sept. 2, 2009

Re: Any Transitional-Kindergarten parents out there?

• Options
    DD is in PreK run through our school district that seems to function more as a transitional KG than PreK.  It is FT, 8:30 am to 2:30 pm and follows the regular school calendar.  DD is probably one of the youngest in her class b/c there are so many older kids there who weren't quite ready for KG.  DS went through our district KG program, which is why I chose this PreK for DD.  It has been a great prep for KG and quite rigorous, IMO.  They're not doing what I would expect them to do in KG, but DD will have a great head start.  I like how a lot of the curriculum is the same, too, DD is just being exposed to the early principles than DS was. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    I myself was in TK.  I loved it and if they offered it here in NC I would have put SD in it b/c her bday is the beginning of Dec and she was already so much more advanced than preschool level.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is it like a 4K program? Our district offers public 4K, and it's 5 days/week for 2.5 hours/day. There are both morning and afternoon sessions. DD1 was in it last year and loved it. She's now in all day kindergarten. The kindergarten cut off here is Sept 1.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    My school district is just starting in Sept 2012. Orion will be part of it, since his birthday is at the end of Nov. I have a meeting tomorrow that supposed to be an overview, so i will come back on thursday and update with the info.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Looking forward to hearing your update!
    Proud mom to DD Born Oct. 26, 2007, and DS Sept. 2, 2009
  • Options
    My DD is in a PreK program that is run by the school's districts Early Childhood Program.  It is an amazing program.  The parents pay for it and it is well worth the cost.  It takes place in the school but at the other end of the school in a community center and they have a courtyard that no one else uses.  The schools music room is down that hall but all the elementary classes are at the other end of the building - they have a huge set of gyms that separate the areas.  The kids do use the big kid playground after the 1st month and from time to time, get to eat in the cafe.  They have reading buddy's from the 4th grade and also do some programs with the kindergarteners.  The program is open daycare type hours from 6:45am to 6pm but they do the main teaching during school hours (9:30-4).  They include all meals and snacks - breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks.  They do field trips and are open on most school release days and most of the summer since the program is related to the group that does the before/after care program and the summer program.  It is amazing and my DD has learned so much.  We held her back (would have been in kindy this year) but she was not ready and she is in her 2nd year in the program and loving it and just really learning a ton.  I am confident she will start kindy in the fall fully ready.  (We held her back due to an ADHD diagnosis and a speech delay although she is a summer b-day so was one of the youngest but will now be one of the oldest).
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"