May 2011 Moms

**Iris** Doula related question

If I remember correctly you have some experience in the doula department... Can you maybe give me some first-hand ideas of what it was like, what you did and how much you charged for something like that? Or did you only do it for friends? 

I am a nurse and I have a friend of a friend who would like a doula, but doesn't know how she feels about a total stranger. We were talking babies and pregnancy and breastfeeding and she asked if we could go to lunch to discuss me possibly serving the role of doula and now I'm nervous :/ 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: **Iris** Doula related question

• Yes, I was a doula several years ago.  I was employed by a hospital, so I was paid an hourly rate by the hospital, not the mother, but that is not a typical arrangement.  Usually doulas are hired by the mother and paid a flat rate for their package of services.  The price varies a lot by location, the doula's experience and whether she is certified.  I paid $350 for the doula at my daughter's birth and $500 for the doula at my son's birth and those are on the lower end for a certified doula.

Because I was a hospital employee, all my doula clients were complete strangers.  I still felt like I was able to make an important difference for them.  Many of the mothers and their families gave me heartfelt thanks after the birth.  So I don't think you need to know someone well to support them.

Do you have any experience supporting women in childbirth?  You might want to check if there are any doula workshops in your area.  I would also check out the book The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin.

An idea of what it was like--exhausting.  Sometimes physically, sometimes emotionally, sometimes both.  As a doula you will work long hours, you will be doing whatever you can to help the mother--getting her a drink, holding her hand, helping her through contractions, standing on your feet for hours.  You may be there for some amazing moments and you may be there for some heartbreaking ones.  Birth isn't always happy and that is something you need to consider if you go into this line of work.  For example, one of the births I attended was a 37 week stillborn.  At another one, there was an unexpected shoulder dystocia and the baby was born not breathing, but was resuscitated.  You will also be in situations where you disagree with the mother or her doctor, or where there is an upsetting situation, and you have to remember that it's not about you.

But with that said, it's amazingly rewarding.  There is nothing like watching a child come into the world and knowing you helped make that day more special for that mother and baby.  Supporting a woman during the one of the most important and vulnerable days of her life is an incredible feeling.

HTH! 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • That does help!

The extent of my experience is my L&D clinical hours but I do have a passion for this area of expertise. I will definitely be doing more research on the subject. I am about to apply to become an IBCLC as well. Thanks again :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Just to tack on my 2 cents...

I paid my doula $450. In my city, a doula will charge $300 - $1200, depending on her level of experience and just plain how much she wants to charge. The typical package includes 3 prenatal visits to discuss the birth and prenatal care, the birth, a hospital visit the next day, and a home visit a few days afterward to check on breastfeeding and any other issues.

My doulas (I ended up with a backup at my birth because my doula was out of town) earned the money. It wasn't a long birth, but I had a lot of back labour and I had her and my DH squeezing my hips and pressing on my back for literally hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"