Health & Exercise

How do I handle this?

There is a young girl I work with who recently found out she is pregnant. I have been talking with her, and trying to help her through the roller coaster that is young motherhood. During this the past two weeks, I learned she smokes, not only cigarettes, but marijuana as well. She claims it is the "legal" marijuana, but either way, that is not good for the baby. I know that this is her choice, and I can't force her to quit, but is there any way for me to help that baby? I grew up with a drug addicted father, and I can't stand to watch helplessly as another child is forced into that life, with not one, but two drugged out parents. Is there any legal action, or anything at all I can do? 

Re: How do I handle this?

• You can research the effects, or potential effects, or THC on the fetus, and give her that information. If you happen to know where she gets her OB car, you can call and leave the information with her OB.

It sounds like she doesn't think it's harmful, so maybe educating her would make her change her mind. If I am misunderstanding, and she doesn't care that cigarettes and marijuana are harming her unborn child, then, and only then, should you seek "legal action." I would call CPS and ask to speak to a social worker. Unfortunately, I don't think there is much they can do. Personally, I would be chatty with her and get her to say who her OB is, and do what I described above. MD's are mandated reporters. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree, educate and not parent.  She may not be aware of how the smoke affects not only her but her unborn baby too.  Most county service departments have great free to low cost smoking cessation classes & aids.

See if you can help her to her first appointments so you can make sure she is asking all of the right questions and getting the right information.

But if you are worried about her health and the fetus' healthy then I would make an anonymous phone call to the Child Services department of the county health services.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • there is little to nothing that CPS can do until the child is born.   If the baby were to test postive for THC at the hospital they would call CPS...CPS obviously cannot take the baby now.  THere are programs in most towns for high risk mothers, if she is willing helping her enroll in one might be helpful.  I don't mean to seem apathetic but I work closely with child welfare in my job and prior to birth there is not a whole lot they can do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"