Austin Babies

Is this a cold or cedar fever?

Last night M was coughing horribly. We put the humidifier in her room and that helped a little. Yesterday she was fine during the day and we went to the park, but when we got home she started feeling really bad. Runny nose (clear drainage), sneezing, a little warm but no crazy fever.

I know there is nothing we can really do other than steam, humidifier & fluids for a cold... but how can you tell if this is cedar fever instead? DH and I are really allergic to cedar - and I am wondering if maybe that is it instead? (My nose bothered me when we got back home from the park.)

Anything else we can do? Or a way to tell which one it is? Not sure if the pedi is open tomorrow or not - but there might be nothing that they can do anyway if this is a cold.

Re: Is this a cold or cedar fever?

• It sounds really similar to how Will was last week (except he had green drainage). I ended up taking him into the pedi on Friday and he said there's some nasty junk going around - virus, of course. Causes congestion, sneezing, low-grade fever. I'd wait it out a few days before taking her in unless her fever gets higher.

I'd just keep up with the humidifier, lots of liquids, and ibuprofen if you feel like she's uncomfortable. Hope she's feeling better soon!!

• Zyrtec =) 1/2 tsp - If her symptoms improve for 24 hours and return, allergies. If it does nothing, then it's a cold. Anti-histamines don't help colds. You can also try Benadryl but then you run the risk of it making her hyper unless you know for sure it makes your kid sleepy.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I was going to suggest trying some Zyrtec before bed to see if it helps. Either way I probably wouldn't bother with a trip to the pedi. If it's a cold what are they going to tell you - "Rest, hydration, sleep with a humidifier. Thanks for your copay!" ;)

We've had some nasty cold running through the house for the past couple weeks. Thankfully it seems to have come and gone with the boys. DH and I both have a lingering cough. No fun. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • The lingering cough thing is sort of a hallmark of the cold this year. I had it for 3 weeks earlier in the fall. DH is just finishing his 3rd week but he's not all better.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"