Infertility
Options

All of my follistim is expired!!!!!!

Good thing I noticed by accident!  I went to grab my cetrotide to order a refill online and noticed all 33 boxes of my follistim is stamped dec 2011.  I wont need it until at least Wed, just glad I noticed ahead of time. The pharmacy is closed today except for emergencies. I dont know if this is considered an emergency since they would ship overnight to get here Tues for possible Wed start? Should I bother the emergency people or wait until tomorrow? They said emergency is defined as missing your next dose. Urgh!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: All of my follistim is expired!!!!!!

• Options
    That's super annoying. I'm glad you caught it! I would call them, especially because tomorrow is a holiday. 
    I suck at getting pregnant
    I really suck at staying pregnant
  • Options
    Eeeps!  How crazy, why would they send you expired meds?!  I would definitely call them, especially as PP said with Monday being a holiday.

Severe MFI. Me: supposedly all clear but eggs showed vacuoles.

IVF #1 January 2012, ER Jan 14th: 34R, 27M, 23F. Day 3: 18 embies still strong. Day 5: zero "good," one "fair," the rest "poor." Transferred 3. None made it to blast or to freeze. Jan 28: BFN.

Lucky IVF #2: Transferred two beautiful day three embies on St. Patrick's Day. BFP on HPT 7dp3dt. Beta 1 (14dpER)=106; Beta 2 (16dpER)=140; Beta 3 (19dpER)=264! First u/s 4.17.

imageimageimageBabyFruit Ticker

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry it is expired, but holy cow, 33 boxes?!  Do you use that much per cycle?
    TTC #1 since October 2008. Dealing with MFI.
    IVF #1 w ICSI in July 2010 = BFN
    IVF #2.1 in Oct 2010 converted to IUI = BFN
    IVF #2.2 w ICSI in Dec 2010 = BFN
    Met with new RE in new city on 1/31/11.
    IVF #3 w ICSI in April 2011. HPT on 5/9 = BFP!
    Beta #1 on 5/10 (10dp5dt) = 99.4. Beta #2 on 5/12 = 284. First u/s on 5/26. = Fraternal TWINS!
    Twin boys born & lost on 8/16/11 at 18w1d due to PPROM & preterm labor.
    IVF #4.1 in Jan 2012 converted to IUI on 1/7/12 = BFN
    IVF #4.2 w ICSI in Feb 2012. Lupron on 2/10. Stims on 2/18. ER on 2/29- 7R,6F
    ET scheduled for 3/5/12- nothing to transfer :(
    Dh seeing new MFI uro & Dh starting meds- June 2012.
    IVF #5 in Dec 2012 = BFFN.
    IVF #6 planned for Spring 2013. Praying for our take home baby/ies.
    **P/SAIF and P/SAL always welcome!**

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

imageillinigal:
    I'm sorry it is expired, but holy cow, 33 boxes?!  Do you use that much per cycle?

I was wondering the same thing! 

I suck at getting pregnant
    I really suck at staying pregnant
  • Options
    I would call them since you need it Wednesday and tomorrow is a holiday.   To me this would be an emergency.  Good luck!
    TTC since Jan. 2010 DX Unexplained infertility
    3 IUI's w/Clomid & Ovidrel=all BFNs
    3 IVF (2 Fresh, 1 frozen) =BFN
    Jan 2012 New RE & Fresh Cycle =BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2 October 2014
    Meet with RE March 2015
    2 Frozen & 1 Fresh IVF= BFNs
    September 2015 Frozen ET=BFP!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

imageillinigal:

Yes, unfortunetly my insurance does not cover the pen, so they are all 75 iu vials. I stim at 450 ius because of being DOR.  The other sucky part is it is not powder with dilutant so 450 ius ends up being a shot of 3cc. Last cycle they sent me 50 boxes. I do have some left over from that though.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagelynn0926:

imageillinigal:

Yes, unfortunetly my insurance does not cover the pen, so they are all 75 iu vials. I stim at 450 ius because of being DOR.  The other sucky part is it is not powder with dilutant so 450 ius ends up being a shot of 3cc. Last cycle they sent me 50 boxes. I do have some left over from that though.

Ugh I hate, hate, hate insurance!  So frustrating the hoops we have to jump through to get health care.  Why would they cover the med in one form, but not another?  It makes no sense.

Severe MFI. Me: supposedly all clear but eggs showed vacuoles.

IVF #1 January 2012, ER Jan 14th: 34R, 27M, 23F. Day 3: 18 embies still strong. Day 5: zero "good," one "fair," the rest "poor." Transferred 3. None made it to blast or to freeze. Jan 28: BFN.

Lucky IVF #2: Transferred two beautiful day three embies on St. Patrick's Day. BFP on HPT 7dp3dt. Beta 1 (14dpER)=106; Beta 2 (16dpER)=140; Beta 3 (19dpER)=264! First u/s 4.17.

imageimageimageBabyFruit Ticker

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

• Options
    imagelynn0926:

imageillinigal:

Ahhh...  I didn't know they came in 75 IU vials. I've always had 600 or 900 IU cartridges for follistim.   I'm sorry your insurance doesn't cover it.   I agree with the other ladies that I would call and ask since tomorrow is a holiday.  Good luck!

TTC #1 since October 2008. Dealing with MFI.
    IVF #1 w ICSI in July 2010 = BFN
    IVF #2.1 in Oct 2010 converted to IUI = BFN
    IVF #2.2 w ICSI in Dec 2010 = BFN
    Met with new RE in new city on 1/31/11.
    IVF #3 w ICSI in April 2011. HPT on 5/9 = BFP!
    Beta #1 on 5/10 (10dp5dt) = 99.4. Beta #2 on 5/12 = 284. First u/s on 5/26. = Fraternal TWINS!
    Twin boys born & lost on 8/16/11 at 18w1d due to PPROM & preterm labor.
    IVF #4.1 in Jan 2012 converted to IUI on 1/7/12 = BFN
    IVF #4.2 w ICSI in Feb 2012. Lupron on 2/10. Stims on 2/18. ER on 2/29- 7R,6F
    ET scheduled for 3/5/12- nothing to transfer :(
    Dh seeing new MFI uro & Dh starting meds- June 2012.
    IVF #5 in Dec 2012 = BFFN.
    IVF #6 planned for Spring 2013. Praying for our take home baby/ies.
    **P/SAIF and P/SAL always welcome!**

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Ask your Dr if you can still use them.  They should be fine if the expiration date is Dec 2011.  Most medications are good for a year after they expire. They have to put dates on meds.  My uncle is a pharmacist and he said meds start to lose the effectiveness after the expiration date.  They just expired so you might be ok.  Wouldn't hurt to ask. 
    After 4.5 years our miracle IVF baby is here!
    Born 7/30/13
  • Options
    My RE will allow them to be used for an additional 6 months after expiration date.  Might be an option for you to save on copay.  Defiantly don't throw the expired away.  Someone from the OOP donated meds may be approved to use the expired.  We had all our meds donated and it was and answer to prayer for us!!  We used pens and those 75 iu viles.  Made injection time a little more challenging for us after the pens were gone. But, you do what you gotta do!

After 6 long years of TTC and a traumatic birth... I finally got to hold my baby in my arms!

'Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.'Psalm 37:4

2006 start TTC

2007 Start w/ RE (Endo and MFI previous marriage)/ 2008 Vericocele surgery/3 clomid cycles
    2009 Lap removed stage III endo/ 2 failed IUI/ Divorce

2011 Remarried
    October 2011 Dx: Endo & DOR/ November 2011- clomid & TI cycle
    January 2012 IVF~  Flare protocol 10 ER/ 9 mature fertilized with ICSI/ ET- 2 Grade A Blasts/ 4 frozen= BFN
    Febuary 2012- -Endo Biopsy/  MTHFR diagnosis
    March 8- FET 2 grade A blasts= BFP!!!!

November 2012-  Charles was born by emergency C-Section

Dealing with:
    Stage III Endo/ DOR/ MTHFR two mutations C677T & A1298C

Currently TTC #2  FET planned January 2014

• Options

So glad you noticed that!  I would call them and just lie saying you need it by Tuesday and you didn't know if tomorrow's holiday would mess anything up.  This way it gives you an extra day just in case something happens. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageHappyIAm:
    My RE will allow them to be used for an additional 6 months after expiration date.  Might be an option for you to save on copay.  Defiantly don't throw the expired away.  Someone from the OOP donated meds may be approved to use the expired.  We had all our meds donated and it was and answer to prayer for us!!  We used pens and those 75 iu viles.  Made injection time a little more challenging for us after the pens were gone. But, you do what you gotta do!

This is good to know. I will call my nurse tomorrow and see if it is fine to use them. If not, then I have about 50 75 iu vials to donate because I have some left over from last cycle. It def is a challenge using them. We have to break it down into 3 shots because the 3 cc at once was unbearable.

I did call again, but you get an answering service and they have to page the pharmacist because they are on call only today. I felt bad bothering them I guess. They are open tomorrow because they have a list of holidays they are closed. AF is not here today so I def wont need them until at least Wed. If I have to I will take a half day of work to pick them up. That pharmacy is a little over an hour away. Thanks girls! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Oh Lynn I'm sorry that you've been through a hassle today! I hope you get it all figured out soon.

"I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted what I asked of him." ~1 Samuel 1:27
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "Whatever it takes, we walk together." ~Pittsburgh Penguins
    My IF-turned-baby blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"