Health & Exercise
Options

Breastfeeding, Dieting and Working Out

Hey everyone.  Currently EBFing a 5 month old and have just started dieting and working out.  I am wondering if anyone has had experience with or knows if this can cause issues with milk supply?   Without lactating, I should eat about 1300 calories a day to maintain my weight--Since breastfeeding, I've added 500 to that and eat about 1800 a day.  Previously, before starting this diet, I was eating about 2200-2500 a day.  So I don't think I'm undereating at all, but I'm wondering if my supply could react negatively to the sudden change.

Also, I workout about 45 minutes a day (that's all I have time for now) and am wondering if this, combined with the sudden change in calories, could be an issue and if so, what could I do to help it NOT be an issue, insofar as more pumping?  Another dietary change?  Etc.

Any info and help is appreciated.  Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Breastfeeding, Dieting and Working Out

• Options

Exercise and dieting can cause your milk supply to drop.  Make sure your drinking plenty of water!  That is the most important thing.  If you notice your milk supply is dropping, up the calories by 200 to 300.  Keep them clean, eating more doesn't mean eating crappy.  :)  If that doesn't work, ease back on the intensity of the work out.

So far I seem to be doing well.  I've added fenugreek (pill form) to my daily intake and it seems to be helping.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I worked out for about an hour a day and EBF until 6 months and continued BF (with solids) through 13 months.  Everyone is so different because I noticed that I actually gained weight if I ate more than about 1800 calories a day, even with the BF and activity (running).  I never had any supply problems, but this may be something you just have to play around with to make sure you're eating enough and making enough milk.  I should add that I work a very sedentary desk job so that's probably why I don't need many calories even though I'm an avid runner. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Definitely everyone is different - I'm lurking on this board b/c I was trying to see if anyone had exercise tips for people in my position. I EBF, only lightly exercise at the moment, eat like crazy (I have no idea how many calories as I've never been a calorie counter) and I am below my goal weight. I am getting to the point where I am looking for ways to add food into my diet and being cautious about work outs b/c I do not want to lose anymore weight. 

I have always been active, so I want to keep exercise in my life, but I do think I have to be careful and keep it light right now. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"