Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Newborn sleeping in/on boppy - how bad is that?

I'm a second time mom.......and I am confessing that I am having my DS sleep in the boppy pillow at night.  He just seems to do so well in there, I'm hesitant to try him flat on his back in my co-sleeper :-(.  I just saw on the tag that it says to never let your baby fall asleep on it (I should know this being a 2nd time mom but I must have forgotten). 

Someone knock some sense into me and tell me that sleep is NOT that important.  I just am not sure that I can handle too many more sleepless nights with a 2 year old waking up at 6am ready to play.

Edited to add:

Thanks all - I just did some more research and I'm going to roll a towel under one side of the co-sleeper and do that tonight to avoid using the boppy.  He seems to like being elevated a bit and has reflux so I was trying to avoid him choking (he seems to choke a lot on his spit up).  I had no idea what a hazard it was until I just did the research - thanks!

Re: Newborn sleeping in/on boppy - how bad is that?

• Options
    ummm...IMO it IS that important. Babies have suffocated while sleeping in the boppy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

That is really unsafe.

It is a suffocation risk... a huge one. Infants (especially while sleeping) can slide down and it will restrict their airway.

I want to say that a nestie knew a baby (IRL) that this happened to. 

It (sleep) isn't worth your baby suffocating. IMO.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DS has fallen asleep in his boppy before.

Usually its during the day when we have him sitting in it near us.

One night though he was extremely fussy and DH took him, put him in it and luckily fell asleep - DH didn't dare move him out of it!

• Options

babies have died that way.

have you tried swaddling? that was a lifesaver for us.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

they can suffocate because they slump down and it cuts off their air supply.

If you are worried about them laying flat then get a mattress wedge.  Totally unsafe.  

My Book BlogImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicA Lucy, a lost tube, two lost babies, and another on the way! image
  • Options
    imagemrse1107:

DS has fallen asleep in his boppy before.

Usually its during the day when we have him sitting in it near us.

One night though he was extremely fussy and DH took him, put him in it and luckily fell asleep - DH didn't dare move him out of it!

wait, maybe I misread- anytime DS has slept in the boppy its always w/us sitting right there....

if your DC is sleeping in it while you're sleeping, you should def try the co-sleeper.

• Options
    Thanks all - I just did some more research and I'm going to roll a towel under one side of the co-sleeper and do that tonight to avoid using the boppy.  He seems to like being elevated a bit and has reflux so I was trying to avoid him choking (he seems to choke a lot on his spit up).  I had no idea what a hazard it was until I just did the research - thanks!
  • Options
    Our pedi told us to put a book under the crib mattress to angle it just a bit to help w/ reflux.  I got the Bobby incline, from Target, which was a total waste.  DS wiggles so much that he slides down so far on the incline and his face gets smushed up against the bolsters.  Because of the fear of suffocation, we just use an old textbook.  GL!  
  • Options
    Our girls love napping in their boppy. I fill the hole with a blanket so they are reclining flat, and can't slump.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"