Toddlers: 24 Months+

Cutting Grapes

Thanks to Modern Family last night the grape cutting debate is now on in my house. 

DD wants to eat her grapes whole.  If I give them to her sitting at the table, she has no problem chewing them one at a time.  But, I'm still cutting them in half to be safe.  DH would be cutting them until she's headed off to college.

At what age did you/will you stop cutting grapes? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cutting Grapes

• hahahah i love that show!! :)

i stopped cutting them once she got most of her teeth; DH still cuts them when he serves them. :)

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I still cut them and DD is almost 3. I don't know when I will stop. Choking scares me so bad.
  • Loading the player...
  • It's been a long time since we cut them, I can't even remember when we stopped. DH did it longer than I did though!

• I still cut them since DS likes to shove food in his mouth.  He has eaten them whole so I know he can handle it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We stopped cutting them probably at 26 months old.  I usually ask DS if he wants them cut and he picks.  He always eats them at the table.
  • imagesuperaunt:

i stopped cutting them once she got most of her teeth; DH still cuts them when he serves them. :)

haha, this.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A five yr old in our community died last year from choking on a whole grape. I will be cutting them for quite some time. DH totally agrees.
  • I took a CPR class from a paramedic who still cut grapes for his 4 year old grand kids. He had seen too many kids die from choking. I cut my son's grapes until age 3, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to stop now. He grabs whole grapes sometimes before I cut them, and eats them ok, but I'm on the fence about it. I'm not generally overprotective, but certain things like this I've heard too many bad stories about.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Whole grapes are one of the worst choking hazards. My DH, who is a physician, thinks that even adults should cut their grapes. Needless to say, we still cut them for my 4 yo (today!) DS and will for quite awhile. Especially since he nearly choked in the classroom when I was visiting a few week's ago. Yeah, no reason to risk it!
  • We still cut them and will for a long time.  Choking scares me too much and DS loves to shove food in his mouth.
    * DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • We stopped cutting them in half around 24 months but after reading this post I might start cutting them again...yikes!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageshipian:

It's been a long time since we cut them, I can't even remember when we stopped. DH did it longer than I did though!

This.
  • A whole grape is the size of a toddlers windpipe, thus why it is one of the biggest choking hazards up to age 5...I still quarter DD's grapes and heck I halve oversized blueberries too..Call me paranoid but its not something I'm willing to risk !
  • I'm a nurse and I've seen kids be injured or die of choking, grapes scare The heck out if me! I still cut them as does DH, baby carrots are another scary one! I buy big carrots and cut them into sticks
  • I don't cut small ones but large ones get cut in half.
  • Meijer sells really tiny grapes that DD loves.  I still cut up regular sized grapes.  She would probably do okay and she would prefer to eat them whole, but I still don't want to take that risk.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I've never really fed Bean grapes regularly, but on the rare occasion that he gets them, I have never cut them.  He chews his food.  And he prefers melon and apples and pears. 

But I tend to protect Bean from harmful influences, than insidious things like grapes.

• My 4 year old cousin choked on a grape. Thank god someone was there that could do CPR on him or he would have died bc my aunt had never taken a CPR class and had no idea how to do it. I will cut my dds grapes for a very long time now!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    I made it past my goal I nursed for 1 year and 6 weeks! Im so proud of myself!
  • imageablou:

I've never really fed Bean grapes regularly, but on the rare occasion that he gets them, I have never cut them.  He chews his food.  And he prefers melon and apples and pears. 

But I tend to protect Bean from harmful influences, than insidious things like grapes.

Confused

Choking isnt harmful ?   interesting.

• imageanglynn1124:
    imageablou:

I've never really fed Bean grapes regularly, but on the rare occasion that he gets them, I have never cut them.  He chews his food.  And he prefers melon and apples and pears. 

Confused

Well, since my child actually chews his food, he tends not to choke.  And like I said before, he doesn't really eat grapes.

• imageanglynn1124:
    imageablou:

Confused

Well, since my child actually chews his food, he tends not to choke.  And like I said before, he doesn't really eat grapes.

And if you don't feel that a food is appropriate for your child, why are you feeding it to him/her?  

• imageablou:
    imageanglynn1124:
    imageablou:

Confused

And if you don't feel that a food is appropriate for your child, why are you feeding it to him/her?  

I'm sure every child who has ever choked on a piece of food never chewed any of it..this has to be the oddest arguement for something i've heard lately.

i feel whole grapes are not appropriate for my child and i do not feed them to her..grapes quartered are perfectly fine and she does great with them..she chews her food too !

• imageablou:
    imageanglynn1124:
    imageablou:

Confused

Seriously, this is one of the more idiotic statements I have seen on the Bump.
  • imageablou:
    imageanglynn1124:
    imageablou:

Confused

Ok, for your child's sake I really hope you're not seriously this naive when it comes to choking.  Choking doesn't just happen because the person didn't chew the food good enough.  If your child puts a piece of food in their mouth and starts laughing or takes in too deep/quick of a breath, a piece of food can get inhaled in the blink of an eye.  It's not as simple as "well my child actually chews his food so we don't have to be concerned about choking".

• I still cut them in half for DD, and in quarters for DS. I probably will for quite a while yet. Choking scares me. I still halve DD's hotdogs, and quarter DS's as well.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Even though I know infant/child CPR, choking still scares the crap out of me. I cut DD1's grapes in half and will sometimes cut the really large grapes into quarters.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I still cut them up.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• We still cut/will for a LONG time - just not worth the chance!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"