Stay at Home Moms

Sweet tea!! Pointless question of the day

Here in Texas iced sweet tea is a big deal. LOL, the stereotype of sweet tea sweet enough to feed a hummingbird is very true with my family. Seriously that stuff is so good but SO bad for you. And adding sugar to your tea after it is made is in NO WAY the same. But DH works with someone from up north and he thinks we are CRAZY for making sweet tea and they were teasing each other. LOL, my mom is a truck driver and says it is a very regional thing.She says she misses sweet tea when she is in the north. It is kind of cool how stuff varies from state to state!

So what do you think?

Where are you from? Do you like sweet tea? Do you think it is different when the sugar is added before or after? How sweet do you like it? Do you drink your tea hot or cold? Etc.. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

Re: Sweet tea!! Pointless question of the day

• I like both hot and cold tea but I don't put sugar in either. (I'm from NY)
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't like sweet tea. I'm in NJ........I drink my tea hot.
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm from Northern NY and we drink iced tea which can sometimes be sweetened.  I have no idea what sweet tea is although I have heard of it and am guessing it's just really sweet iced tea?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I don't care for sweet tea. I like my tea (hot or cold) with nothing added.

I grew up in northern VA (DC suburbs) with a mom from South Dakota and a dad from upstate NY. I remember when I was a kid we drove down to Disneyworld and my mom ordered an iced tea from a McDonald's drive-thru in Georgia and nearly spit it out all over the car because she took a big drink and wasn't expecting it to be sweet!

I live in Maine now so the only sweet tea around here is what they sell at McDonald's. Judging by their southern style chicken sandwich, which is a poor imitation of Chick-fil-A, it's probably not very good either.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm from Texas as well and LOVE sweet iced tea! I like it pretty sweet, like Chick fil a's sweet tea or Raising Cane's. The funny thing is my husband hates coffee, so he makes a sweet iced tea with the Keurig every morning. The K-cup is called Southern Sweet Iced Tea. It is yummy :)

For the PP, McDonald's sweet tea is gross and should be avoided :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm from Missouri and I like a little tea with my sugar. I LOVE sweet tea. I drink tea hot and cold but either way it HAS to be sweetened either with sugar or honey.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ok I lurk here, but will be a SAHM by July (housewife now) so I kinda like to peek in occasionally to see what everyone has going on, but I HAD to comment on this one. I'm also from Texas and sweet tea is a staple in this house.  It is definitely not the same when sugar is added later.  I also hate when a restaurant only has unsweet tea and a have to sweeten it myself. I do drink hot tea occasionally when I'm sick or when I don't want coffee at night and need something warm to drink. 
  • I don't like tea period but I have to keep it in the house for my husband and guests. I guess I make it Alabama style since that is where I learned.

I use 2 quarts of boiling water and 2 Luzianne tea bags. I let them seep for about 45 minutes to an hour. Then I dump in 1.5 cups of sugar. Stir and put it in the refrigerator. 

I know some people make it with a simple syrup but I'm to lazy for that step since I make it every other day.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Abigail (6.2010) and Evelyn (9.2011)
  • I am from Iowa, but LOVE sweet tea.  I always say it has to be sweet enough to rot your teeth to be good.  I am definitely the exception in my family and group of friends, though.  Its definitely better with sugar before and I like it cold with just a bit of ice.   

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm from PA and had never heard of sweet tea until McDonalds started offering it, LOL.

Honestly, I don't like it. I can't stand sugar in my drinks. I typically only drink water or unsweetened iced tea.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Sweet tea is one of my favorite things, but I didn't really get to experience it until I went away to college in the south.  Now that McDonald's carries it, I get it weekly (although I am not currently drinking it because I cut out what little caffeine I used to drink during pregnancy).  I love it sweet.  The funny thing is though, that my daily morning drink (pre pregnancy) is hot green tea, and I don't put anything in it.  So to me, sweet tea is just a treat.  

And no, it does not taste nearly the same if the sugar is added afterward.  :-) 

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • I am from TN and I do not like tea, hot or cold. However, most people in my family like sweet tea and it is served at every family function. I do think it is a regional thing. We live in PA now and most restaurants serve iced tea with no sugar added. DH prefers sweet tea but has adjusted to drinking it without sugar.

I spent a semester in England during college and I drank hot tea with breakfast occasionally but had to have sugar and milk in it. I prefer coffee over tea though. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • It is regional. DH is from New England and never had sweet tea until he moved to Florida. The first time he ordered tea at a restaurant he was very surprised to receive sweet tea. Likewise, when we visited New England I couldn't get sweet tea when we went out, I had to add sugar to my regular iced tea.

Where are you from? Originally Floridian.

Do you like sweet tea? I love sweet tea, but limit my intake because of the caffeine and sugar.

Do you think it is different when the sugar is added before or after? As long as the sugar is dissolved. I don't like when restaurants don't have sweet tea, but have regular tea and sugar that I have to mix. I feel like I'm drinking sugar granules because the sugar takes forever to dissolve.

How sweet do you like it? Not like my mom who likes a little tea with her sugar, but not syrupy-sweet either. I guess the normal restaurant style?

Do you drink your tea hot or cold? Both. I like milk and sugar sometimes with my hot tea - especially chai. Sometimes I want lemon, other times I don't. I'm also fond of Arnold Palmer tea (half sweet tea, half lemonade).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

The Nest/Bump sucks and won't let me change my location. I'm in Arkansas, not Florida.
  • I'm not a sweet tea drinker at all. I'm a Louisiana Southern Belle too and I just don't care for tea sweetend. Blasphamous I know!  I only drink sweet tea from Cane's.
    Kevin & Traci May 11, 2006 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • I LOVE sweet teat but I don't usually drink it because of the calories.  But it really made me laugh the last time DH and I went on a trip down to Florida because every time we ordered unsweet tea in the South it was horrible but the sweet tea was always perfect!  I don't think you can add sugar after it's made because it never fully dissolves and becomes a part of it!  If I'm gonna drink it...I want it so sweet I'll need a glass of ice water after I drink it!  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imageDochas:
    I like both hot and cold tea but I don't put sugar in either. (I'm from NY)

Ditto this, except I am in PA

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • I LOVE sweet tea.  I don't remember seeing it around here until the last few years.  The first time I had it I was shocked by how sweet it was!   I only drank it in restaurants, I never made it myself.  I don't drink it at all anymore; in fact I usually don't consume any added sugar except a little in my coffee in the morning.  Which is amazing because I used to be a sugar addict.  I eat a much healthier diet then I used to :).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm from North Carolina and love sweet tea. I don't know anyone in "my" family who doesn;t like it. Although my husband hates it. He says it should be illegal;)

When I make it, I put 2 cups of  sugar to a gallon of tea! yummo!

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Native Texan here. Sweet tea is a southern thing, not necessarily a Texas thing. Ice tea is Texan, but we've never sweetened our tea.

I prefer to sweeten my tea myself. I drink iced tea and only used to drink hot tea if I was feeling sick.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"