D.C. Area Babies
Options

Daycare question

We aren't planning to start ttc for about 4-6 months.  However, I've heard that the waiting lists for daycares can be 18 months or even longer.  For those of you who are using daycare, when did you first get on waiting lists?  Will they even allow you to be on a list if you aren't pregnant?

DH and I both work in DC and want to find a daycare near our offices.  Capitol Kids is very close to mine and I've also heard good things about Huckleberry Cheesecake.  Do any of you know anything about either of these daycares or have suggestions about websites, etc. to get advice about DC daycares?  Thanks so much! 

Re: Daycare question

• Options

I really don't know enough to be very helpful since I am new to the process, but I waited until I was pregnant (3 days after I found out) and got on waitlists at 4 places (including Huckleberry Cheesecake). ?I honestly don't know if that will be good enough or if I will get an opening anywhere when I need it, but I won't need anything full time until the baby is 6 months. ?I found the 4 sites through DC Urban Moms and some research. ?I went for places relatively near that had good reputations.

The thing to consider is that it is expensive to be on waitlists, and if you get a spot before you're ready, you may have to take it and pay for when you don't need it if you don't want to give it up. ?

Good luck!?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I live on Capitol Hill, so I researched a ton of centers near our house, and can recommend a bunch downtown. Moms on the Hill has a document I can send you with their top recommendations. Just email me@carrie.cc and I'll send it to you :)

As for Huck. Cheesecake... I too, heard wonderful things, but it's the most expensive one I found. So I crossed that off our list. Most centers wouldn't let me on their waitlist until I had a due date, so the minute I got pregnant (even though I wasn't even telling family yet) at 5 weeks I was on the waitlist.

Even though I was early, I'm still not getting accepted to ANY of the ones I'm waitlisted on. So just a warning, if you are not fed gov't, you are pushed back to the bottom of the list, and there's still a good chance you won't make it when you need it. So have a backup plan (like somewhere near your house that the waitlists might not be so insane, or a nanny option) just in case it doesn't work out with the downtown centers! You will definitely not be the first for this to happen!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies.  That's helpful.  Good luck to both of you! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"